We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Belkin network client ip filters

Spudyuk

Likes # 0

How do I block a laptops Internet using client ip filter . When I put in details says I have not put in the full ip address I'm on routers ip address and I hate the person downloading its laggin everything

Plz plz help

Andrew

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Filtering by IP address won't necessarily work because, if the Laptop in question gets its IP address by DHCP, the address can change. If it is connecting "wirelessly", you'd be better blocking it with MAC address filtering.

Your router should show those computers which are connected to it together with the MAC address of their network adapters. Enable MAC address filtering and then enter the MAC address of those computers that you do want to allow to connect.

This does mean that the Laptop whose address you haven't added won't have access to either the Local Area Network or the Internet.

Like this post
Spudyuk

Likes # 0

Ok can u give advice on any router where it has god features to disable people using programs ie utorrent he has about thirty things downloading and it's taking the mick ty so much for helping

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Surely if you change your wireless network password and reset your pc's the "Rogue" on will not have access?(WPA) See here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/130330/howtosecureyourwireless_network.html

Like this post
Spudyuk

Likes # 0

What ?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Spudyuk. What do you mean by What? I assume you have secured your wireless router with a WAP password. If so how can the rogue pc use it unless he has your password?.

Like this post
Spudyuk

Likes # 0

It's not that problem mate it's sucre I mean the person is on the net which I don't mind it's the downloading big files and masking my stuff I e videos lag I need to just block his net when I want but without the use of changing password I was thinking mac address thing but not sure how to do it .

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Maybe if you connect your pc by ethernet cable, and turn off the wireless of your router when you want to stop wireless access to him. Otherwise just warn him you will change password if he persists. Cann't help further.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do