We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrading Wireless Card

D@z©

Likes # 0

Hi I have a Dell Vostro 3700 which I believe has a built in 802.11g card. Can I upgrade it to a 802.11n which will get the most of my fibre optic BB? If so could you provide links on what would be a suitable purchase. Thanks.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

but most only have a 150mbps transfer rate which is what I am getting now anyway

Not quite correct - in the Link I sent you earlier Broadbandbuyer.co.uk there are at least 40 @ 300mbps - 3 @ 450mbps and 1 at 900mbps.

Like this post
D@z©

Likes # 0

A lot of cards I see are described as 802.11g/b/n which is what mine is. What does it mean when they have all 3 letters then? If I specifically want the 'N' which is the fastest transfer rate?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Wi-Fi capability - The BGN refers to the three 802.11 technologies that are commonly supported in laptops and wireless routers (802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n)

ABG it means that it is compatible with A, B and G protocols. A it's not used a lot, B it's 11 Mbps, G it's 54 Mbps. BG it's compatible with BG. ABGN, N is currently the fastest of all.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

And if you have got a few hours to spare read this enter link description here - and here enter link description here

Like this post
D@z©

Likes # 0

Thanks northumbria61, what I mean is a lot of the cards I see for sale are called 802.11b/g/n and not 802.11b or 802.11g or 802.11n with just the single letter after so how do I know I will be pruchasing specifically an 'n'?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

It means that your wireless card will work with all 3 and backwards compatible. (In simple terms if you have an N Router it will work with B/G/N as it is backwards compatible - but if your Router is G then you won't get N speed.

If you have an N Router you can use G devices but you will not be able to avail yourself of features specific to the N standard

Wireless G is usually half the price, but that's okay due to the fact most people don't "need" Wireless-N, that is to say that they don't benefit due mostly to the fact that while N does increase data-rate-transmission, this is generally only useful for networking (transferring files from one computer to another in a home/office network ie. laptop-desktop).

N does increase range, and this is important for trying to receive a signal through a floor lets say, but as for speed, if you don't subscribe to a fast, most likely expensive internet service (greater than high-speed) you wont even notice the difference, trust me. So what I'm trying to say is, go with Wireless-G if you're not networking, and money is an issue, if not, go with N

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

what I mean is a lot of the cards I see for sale are called 802.11b/g/n

That is the standard nowadays so that the card will work with most Routers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback