We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrading Wireless Card

D@z©

Likes # 0

Hi I have a Dell Vostro 3700 which I believe has a built in 802.11g card. Can I upgrade it to a 802.11n which will get the most of my fibre optic BB? If so could you provide links on what would be a suitable purchase. Thanks.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Still looking for a replacement card - but an easier option for you would be to purchase a USB N adapter. otherwise there are instructions here on how to replace enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Take a look here - may help you decide that this is the easier option enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

This is one a friend of mine purchased recently and had no problems enter link description here or if you want to pay a bit more I would go for the Edimax Dual Band enter link description here

Like this post
D@z©

Likes # 0

Thanks, but if I am going to have ugly adapters etc I may as well go hardwired. I am really after a replacement card to go into the laptop.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Well they are really not ugly these days - some are tiny like this one (you can check the dimensions in the spec) enter link description here but I will keep looking if you want internal - or someone else may come up with a suggestion in the meantime.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I just bought this mini USB dongle for my Tower PC.

My laptop (2 and a half yr old Compaq) has built-in PCI Express Half Mini Card Wifi. See Items 8-12.

Easily accessible under panel on underside.

I haven't looked into it, but guess they are fairly standard.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

This one is tiny - enter link description here

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

To be clear, the OP should see what b/g card is fitted at present then replace with b/g/n card.

Bear in mind the router nay only be b/g but it's worth updating to 'n' bit by bit.

'n' standard freebie routers from ISPs surely won't be long in coming.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

A further note:

My b/g router is close to a radiator at the far wall of the Living Room of a 1930s semi-Detached House.

Two brick walls through to the Dining Room, then brick to the Conservatory at the back.

I still get 'good' reception there, but wireless LAN speed is reduced to about 20Mbps.

ISP speed (see Speedtest.net) is not related to Wifi speed. My AOL, a mile and a half from exchange is only 4Mbps on an 8Mbps service.

I can't get better than that till the roads are dug up again.

Like this post
D@z©

Likes # 0

Thanks for the input, I have looked into usb adapters etc but most only have a 150mbps transfer rate which is what I am getting now anyway. I think a couple of the cards look feasible that were pointed out on amazon. They have a 300mbps rate, so for a small outlay they may be worth a go.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......