We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrading Wireless Card

D@z©

Likes # 0

Hi I have a Dell Vostro 3700 which I believe has a built in 802.11g card. Can I upgrade it to a 802.11n which will get the most of my fibre optic BB? If so could you provide links on what would be a suitable purchase. Thanks.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Looking at the specification your laptop already has WLAN 802 b/g/n

enter link description here

Like this post
D@z©

Likes # 0

I thought that but I think they may come as an option on the laptop. I used SIW and it said I had a DELL Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card, which when googled it said it was 802.11g.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'd be surprised if a relatively new laptop did not have n standard already.

Like this post
D@z©

Likes # 0

Thanks for that Woolwell lol.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

D@z Confusing - you could be right about it being only b/g

enter link description here

Like this post
D@z©

Likes # 0

Thanks northumbria61, so can I purchase one of this and put in that is an 'n'. At the moment when my internet is hardwired I can get about 38meg download, but wireless only about 18. I was told if I had an 'n' I would be able to get very close to the hardwired speed. Correct?

Like this post
D@z©

Likes # 0

I have to add that Dells helplines are awful. I phoned yesterday and was pasted from one operator to another and all they kept asking for was a 'service tag' which I dont have and was probably charged about £1.50pm for the privilege.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Wifi 802.11n is the fastest but you need both router and laptop to be capable. BUT if you are concerned with internet speed, it is really the broadband connection that would dictate the speed, usually much less than 802.11g speed. Your router would need to be Draft-N capable.

Have a look at this link enter link description here

Like this post
D@z©

Likes # 0

I believe the router is 'N' capable. It is one of the new high spec Sky ones that look like a mini Sky+ box especially for their new fibre optic Broadband. So if it is do you know what card I can put in my laptop?

Like this post
D@z©

Likes # 0

Yes the router is a Sagem F@ST2504n.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'