We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC wont boot after hard drive failed & was replaced

Nickelback1
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have replaced the hard drive on an old computer after it failed with a working hard drive & it is will not boot after the bios & memory check into windows either from the replacement drive or windows vista CD even after changing the boot order to CD first in the bios.

The computer is recognising the new drive in boot up. But it's stuck in a loop that just brings it back to: "Windows cannot start due to a computer hardware configeration problem"

Looks like I need some software to auto clear the disk so I can do a fresh windows install as I have no keyboard access after the bios check completes although I can change the bios with a keyboard ?

Any suggestions as to how to fix ?

Like this post
Nickelback1

Likes # 0

This should read as an XP system not Vista - thanks

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

It might be nothing more simple than trying another cable, either IDE or Sata, whichever you use. Make sure that the HDD is plugged into the first Sata port which is usually called 0, if you are Sata of course.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

If you are using a PATA (IDE) HDD, make sure the jumper is set to "master".

I am presuming you are booting from the XP CD in preparation to install the OS, if so have you set the BIOS to recognise the disk drive as the primary?

Like this post
Nickelback1

Likes # 0

Cronus, The computer is seeing the IDE hard drive & recognising it, so it cant be a cable issue ?

johndrew, First thing I checked was the master jumper setting on the IDE drive & it's correct. Drive is recognised by the computer. I set the bios to boot from CD with the Win XP original disk, it attemps to boot & then I get the same loop hardware fault.

So still stuck I'm afraid ! ?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"replaced the hard drive on an old computer after it failed with a working hard drive"

If I am understanding correctly you have put in a harddrive out of another pc that already had XP installed on it. Is that correct?

"need some software to auto clear the disk so I can do a fresh windows install"

From what you describe you are not successfully booting with the CD even though you have altered the bios to boot to CD. Did you press the 'any key' at the prompt to boot from the CD?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Cronus, The computer is seeing the IDE hard drive & recognising it, so it cant be a cable issue ? I am afraid that is not always the case and trying another cable certainly won't hurt.

Like this post
Nickelback1

Likes # 0

lotvic, Yes, this was the original hard drive from the computer (I had upgraded to a new larger one which subsequently failed, so I reverted back) Corded keyboad entries not recognised @ this point so I cannot get any key press accepted, but it times out after 25 seconds & auto defaults to Win XP acceptance & then auto loops back to hardware failure warning.

Chronus, Thanks, will try a different cable to see if that cures it ?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You may have knocked something loose. Check all the connections especially the keyboard. If keyboard not recognised then you will get nowhere. Is it P/S2 or USB keyboard.

Like this post
Nickelback1

Likes # 0

Checked connections, appear to be all ok, I have tried USB keyboard in different USB slots to no avail, I have also tried a cordless keyboard to no avail /

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

What make of drive is it ? Hitachi deskstar ?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide