We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Viewsonic VX924 LCD Display-Faulty on/off switch

Fishbox

Likes # 0

This is 6+ years old.An excellent monitor but the power on/off switch has been getting progressively worse and has now failed.The switch is loose and there is movement from side to side. Is it worth taking it for repair or do I write it off? Any recommendations for a new model,please?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Is it worth taking it for repair or do I write it off? Probably not - but if you have a local repair shop it might be worth asking for an estimate before you part with your cash for a new one. As for recommendations you need to say what size you want.

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

Fishbox,

You could use a multi socket mains extension strip with a master control socket. Plug the computer into the master socket and plug the monitor into one of the controlled sockets. The monitor will only be powered when the computer is switched on and you can ignore the monitor's power switch.

You may need to fiddle with the monitor's power switch to get power to the monitor, but only do this if you know what you are doing and can do it safely.

Peter.

Like this post
Fishbox

Likes # 0

Thanks for replies. Northumbria61-Up to 23cm.and £150.I'm not into games.Was thinking along lines of an LED such as AOCi2352h which was reviewed in PC Advisor in Feb12.But this is a new model and so there aren't many (any?) users reviews to go on. Peter-I've tried jiggling the switch externally without success and am not competent to explore inside!

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Do you mean up to 23 inches (not cm) ?

Like this post
Fishbox

Likes # 0

Yes,23in.-just realised my mistake and was about to correct!Thanks.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

This one is just over budget but is a full HDMi Monitor.

The Iiyama ProLite XB2374HDS-B1 Full HD monitor delivers 1920x1080-pixel pictures and boasts a 5 ms response time to bring your entertainment to life. Images are natural-looking and vibrant thanks to 5,000,000:1 dynamic contrast and 250 cd/m² brightness, meaning you can enjoy video content from your computer or hard drive comfortably. With 2 x 1 W built-in speakers, the ProLite XB2374HDS-B1 by Iiyama also provides sensational sound. In terms of connectivity, the ProLite XB2374HDS-B1 offers three video inputs: VGA, digital DVI and HDMI for maximum compatibility. Supplied with adjustable stand Computing PC monitor 20-23 inches

enter link description here

But if you want to save on that budget I would recommend BENQ - has all the same features and would be adequate seeing as you are not a gamer.

enter link description here

There are cheaper monitors - full list here enter link description here If you were to reduce to 22inch then you could get cheaper option but would probably not have all the features - ie: connections (inputs) , dynamic brightness etc.

Let me know if you need more help. I am sure that others on here will have other suggestions for you.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...