We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What DVD drive ?

Furkin

Likes # 0

Hi guys,

I’m looking for a DVD drive to replace my garbage Sony Optiarc AD-7220A. Ever since I bought it in 2009 it’s been terrible. I contacted Play.com who said that they’d look into it, but they didn’t get back to me.

Most of the time, it makes all sorts of noises, clicks, rattles etc

Sometimes the drawer will open – sometimes it won’t.

Sometimes it will read a disk – sometimes it won’t.

Sometimes it will work – sometimes it won’t.

I have tried a dozen or so different disks, sizes, types & brands etc – all to no avail. This was supposed to have been the best drive that I’d ever had – but it proved to be the worse one. My older, cheaper drives are still going strong, whereas this one has been garbage ever since I had it. I really was expecting a bit more from such a good brand, especially after the hype – at the time – about this model. I was also expecting better service from Play.com.

I have completely re-built my machine 10 months ago (Asus MB + Phenom CPU + PSU + Seagate 1Tb HDD + Samsung 1Tb HDD + nVidia graphics etc). I was rather hoping that this would in some way help the ailing Sony item, but that is now the weak link on my system.

I just can’t rely on this thing working when I need it to.

I havn’t looked into Bluray yet – mainly cos I havn’t needed to, so I suppose a ‘normal’ drive is what I’m after. The Sony item was about the best thing – at the price – that was around at the time, but I’ve lost faith in the brand. What’s around now ? Have ‘speeds’ altered at all ? Apart from Bluray, what should I be looking for in a replacement ?

I don’t think I’m interested in Bluray, but Justin Case, what entry level stuff could I look at ?

cheers

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Take your choice from here - cheap as chips these days.

enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Look for the 22x - 24x

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Thanks again N61:

As I've just rebuilt my desktop machine, I'm now wondering whether to go for a BluRay item - just to future-proof it. I still have an internal LG DVD item - which the Sony was supposed to replace.

I don't want to get another DVD if I have to replace it soon with a BR anyway.

What should I be looking for in a Bluray re/writer ? Is it just speed ?(have gone off Sony)

As in all things, I prefer personal recommendations.

cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad