We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Data protection

davo1979

Likes # 0

Hi, I have just been sent a new laptop from Three mobile and they offered me £150 cash back for my old one that they supplied me with 2 years ago. I am worried about all the stuff that is still on the HDD even though I have done a factory reset on the laptop. Is there a way to wipe it totaly clean ? In doing so I am worried that the wipe clean may wipe off the pre-installed Windows 7 making my cashback and sending the laptop back void.

Any advice would be cool.

Thanks,

Craig.

Like this post
beeuuem

Likes # 0

You could install CCleaner ( from http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/8818/ ) In the Tools option go to Drive Wiper - it will open with the option to wipe free space only, this is the option you need to retain the OS. Choose the number of over wipes that you want. This will prevent recovery by any but the most determined of any personal data on the laptop.

Like this post
davo1979

Likes # 0

Thanks for that.. will this make it totally secure, would someone be able to pull up my spreadsheet (that is password protected) that has all my bank details on... its all been deleted of course but im guessing there will be some sort of reference to it still on the system.

Thanks.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Why not, if you are so paranoid about someone going to a hell of a lot of bother to get your details,remove the hard-drive and then buy a cheap second hand one and stick that in.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

pre-installed Windows 7

makes it awkward to fit a new drive

Use the drive wipe free space tool in CCleaner, you can select 1 3 7 or 35 passes, the more passes the more secure depends on how paranoid you are :0)

3 should be sufficient, it will take some time

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...