We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Gaming PC Components List

simonturner134

Likes # 0

Me and my friend have put together this list of components for a gaming PC, and we think it would work, but want to check before we buy anything, so here's the list, do you think that there are any problems with building a pc from these components?

-Corsair H40 Hydro water cooling -AMD A8-3870K FM1 3.0GHz 4MB 100W Quad Core APU -Asus F1A75-V Pro Motherboard(AMD FM1 Socket, DDR3, ATX, Auto Tuning) -Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz Dual Channel kit -Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB HDD -Corsair Gaming Series GS500 PSU -Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T Mid-Tower Case -Samsung SH-B123L - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM / BD-ROM drive -Asus ATI 1GB Radeon HD 6670 PCI-E Graphics Card (adding to the APU, not sure about crossfire? is it necessary for the setup? if so, is this card good for crossfire?)

So yeah, if you think there are any problems with this setup, or you're want more details on a particular part of the setup, then your feedback would be appreciated.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

1. Can't comment on your Corsair H40 Hydro water cooling because overclocking normally won't help gaming.

2. Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB HDD runs at 5400rpm ,you'll need a minimum 7200rpm HDD for gaming PC.

3. Suggest a minimum 650W PSU for a gaming PC.

4. ATI 1GB Radeon HD 6670 is a low end entry level graphic card, suggest you to get a minimum HD 6850 for your set up.

5. Forget Crossfire the HD 6670 ,it won't help much for gaming ,get as much a powerful single card as you can afford instead.

Like this post
simonturner134

Likes # 0

@retep888™ I agree with points 1, 4 and 5, however, I would like to know your reasoning behind 2 and 3

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

2 The speed of the drive is 5400RPM as opposed to 7200rpm.

3 I suspect that a decent 500w will be enough with present components but thinking of future upgrades than the 650w suggestion is a good one.

Not sure why you have gone for a socket FM1 setup unless of course you are on a very tight budget as that board is very small (mirco atx)so not really the basis for a gaming PC.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

(2) The Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB HDD runs at 5400rpm so as to save energy ,that's why it's called Green . I usually recommend it to people who use their PCs mainly for surfing & word processing.

(3) As I said in point(4) an Ati HD 6850 is recommended therefore a bigger PSU is needed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more