We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dell In spiron 1720 wi-fi failure

Pineman100
Resolved

Likes # 0

My daughter's laptop (Vista) yesterday suffered a glitch and shut down. On restarting it started up normally but wi-fi failed to work. (I wasn't present but that's how she explained it to me).

I have checked that wi-fi is switched on. I know the router is operating normally because I'm now using her husband's laptop via wi-fi via their router (BT Home Hub). I have looked in Control Panel> Network Connections and there are no networks listed. No matter how I search for the wireless network the computer fails to find it, or any other network (it usually sees their neighbour's).

In Device Manager, under the "Network adapters" heading, almost everything has a yellow exclamation mark against it. Here's how it looks - everything has the yellow exclamation except the item I have marked:

Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) Bluetooth Device (RFComm Protocol TDI) (No yellow exclamation) Broadcom 440x10/100 Integrated Controller Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connestion isatap. {E209052E-9308-4C86-BEEA-713C485A2C2C} Teredo Tunneling Pseudo Interface WAN Miniport (IP) WAN Miniport (IPv6) WAN Miniport (L2TP) WAN Miniport (PPPOE) WAN Miniport (PPTP)

All the error reports read the same: "The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31)". I have tried installing the drivers for the Intel Pro/Wireless device (the system found two - one marked Intel and one marked Microsoft - I tried both) but I got the report: Windows cannot install the drivers.

Do you think the computer's wi-fi card is dead?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Maybe a long-shot, but have you tried a System Restore back to before the glitch?

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Update:

I just put the Dell Drivers & Utilities CD (that came with the computer) into the optical drive, and searched for a driver for the Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection. Device Manager searched the CD and reported "The best driver software for your device is already installed".

So it looks as though the drivers are already there.

I've also checked the BIOS to make sure that the wi-fi finction is enabled, and it is.

Any ideas please?

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Nontek - yes, I've tried two restore points. Both failed to restore!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If Nontel's suggestion of a System Restore didn't work, I'd be tempted to try uninstalling all those items with the yellow exclams (from device Manager), then restart windows and let it install the drivers again. Not always successful, but has worked for me in the past in a similar situation.

Like this post  
Nontek

Likes # 0

onthelimit1's suggestions sounds good to me!

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

onthelimit1... thanks a million! Success!

Thanks to you both for your help - much appreciated!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Great - thanks for letting us know.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......