We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wireless network problem

morters
Resolved

Likes # 0

I can send and receive e-mails. My partner can receive and send emails. I can send my partner an e-mail but she cannot send me an email. We are both using Windows 7 but have different ISPs. This seems to have started about the same time as I was trying but failed to set up a connection between her laptop downstairs and my new Epson SX535WD wireless printer upstairs.

My failure to set up the connection just shows my complete lack of understanding of a wireless network (?) and I’m pretty certain that fiddling around with my computer settings for network and internet trying to set up the connection has caused the email problem but have no idea how to undo what I’ve done.

Can anyone help me sort out the mess and confusion, please?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The printer is currently connecting to your router. You will have to get it to recognise her router and insert her password. You may be able to do this through the autoset up on the printer. I suggest that you turn off your router whilst setting it up so that the printer does not automatically log in to it. The install the software on her laptop and follow the instructions. Once it is working for her then you can get back online and connect by usb cable to the printer (you will have to change default printer again). The bottom line is that with 2 routers and no network between the 2 pcs then you cannot both work wirelessly with the printer.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Thank you all for your help. I'm afraid I've not had a lot of success but, having worked virtually non-stop on this since 10 this morning, have reached the stage where I'm too tired to continue today. If any of you are still watching tomorrow... Thank you again and goodnight.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Woolwell, did not see your last post before I posted. Like I said, too tired and brain mashed to try anything more. But I did previously try to set up a network through partner's laptop and thought I'd suceeded when I was invited to, and sucessfully did, print a test page. Subsequent attempts to print from partner's laptop, however, have failed. Am now going to open a crate of Scotch. Bring back messenger pigeons, is what I say! Thanks again for your help.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Woolwell, was simply too knackered last night to do/understand your last posted suggestion. But in the cold light of next day, it seems to me that you are suggesting I can either print wirelessly from my computer or laptop downstairs and that I should try and set up wireless connection from downstairs but print upstairs using a USB cable. Will see what happens.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Woolwell, john bunyan and Nontek, thank you all for help and my apologies for delay coming back with results. I could not get the printer working with partner's laptop, whatever I did. Finally phoned Epson support (extremely helpful and a delight not to talk to someone on a crackly line with a heavy Indian accent.) He confirmed what Woolwell has been saying that with 2 different routers it's not possible to connect both computers to the printer.

He suggested partner temporarily disconnects from her router and connects to mine when she wants to print. With the laptop up here by the side of my pc I followed his instructions and successfully printed a test page. However, I could not repeat the process from downstairs. It would appear the wireless signal strength is not strong enough to link up from downstairs - the distance is 30-35' with a Victorian floor between my router and her laptop. Looks, unfortunately like the end of the road, but thank you all again for your help.

As for the problems with sending e-mails from laptop to my pc, these seem to have resolved themselves, even if an e-mail may take 5 or more minutes to arrive

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Home Plugs may be the solution to connect between upstairs and downstairs.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

What are they, Woolwell?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Thank you, Woolwell, will look into those in more detail, though it looks as if I could have bought a second basic printer for less! Actually, the purpose of a wi-fi printer was to save space rather than money. Thanks.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I am glad you are finally sorted, thanks for your feedback.

I use Homeplugs as mentioned by Woolwell, but not for my Wireless Printer - in fact Homeplugs would not work in your case as your printer, as far as I can tell, does not have a Ethernet Socket (needed to connect Homeplug).

Cheers .........

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room