We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wireless network problem

morters
Resolved

Likes # 0

I can send and receive e-mails. My partner can receive and send emails. I can send my partner an e-mail but she cannot send me an email. We are both using Windows 7 but have different ISPs. This seems to have started about the same time as I was trying but failed to set up a connection between her laptop downstairs and my new Epson SX535WD wireless printer upstairs.

My failure to set up the connection just shows my complete lack of understanding of a wireless network (?) and I’m pretty certain that fiddling around with my computer settings for network and internet trying to set up the connection has caused the email problem but have no idea how to undo what I’ve done.

Can anyone help me sort out the mess and confusion, please?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Is it correct that you have two routers - and two BT lines, or have you 2 routers with one telephone lines? As has been said ther should not be a problem with e Mail if the systens are totally separate. It is up to you but why not have your partner on your ISP and router with her own e Mail?

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Correct, Woolwell, 2 lines, 2 routers. Not understanding what I was doing, I think I have fiddled about with wireless settings on both computers, though I don't remember playing with her router.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The way out of this mess is to have one ISP, one line in and one router which is very much cheaper. You share the router (wired or wirelessly), both can access the internet and e-mails, the 2 computers can talk to each other through the single router (networked) and you can share files and importantly share a printer.

I am extremely puzzled as to what has happened to e-mails to you from her because nothing you have done should have affected that is all other e-mails work correctly.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

john bunyan - two routers, two phone lines. To be honest, I really can't remember why we haven't gone for that route, am feeling extremely confused at present!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

morters - with your set up your partner will be unable to access the printer. What you could try is connecting by cable to it from your system. Getting the printer to connect to her router (you will then be unable to connect wirelessly) and install it on her computer.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Sorry, Woolwell, don't quite understand. Are you suggesting connect her laptop to my computer with USB cable? You say I will be unable to connect (print?) wirelessly, will that be permanent? If so, it will defeat the whole point of buying a wireless printer. When you say 'install it on her computer' will that not be achieved by loading the printer installation CD software?.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Connect your pc to the printer by USB. Connect the printer wirelessly to her router (you will have to set it up for that connection). Install CD etc on her laptop and connect to printer.

With your current setup you cannot connect both systems wirelessly to the printer. Your setup is unusual.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Something weird's just happened. The original email which my partner tried to send yesterday at 15.39 has just arrived with a 'FW: Delivery Status Notification (Delay)' notice attached. It arrived on my pc at 17.30 (I haven't been checking my e-mails for the last hour or so so don't know if this actually happened) but was sent at 9.37 this morning. What has caused the delay and the long time between 9.37 and 17.30, I have no idea.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The delay can be caused by the 2 ISP's having a problem communicating. Your e-mail problem is probably solved.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Woolwell, you said earlier 'Connect the printer wirelessly to her router (you will have to set it up for that connection)' - how do I do that, with the printer installation CD? Have just tried that and it didn't work.

Re 'Your e-mail problem is probably solved', I suspect not; tried to send another email from her computer but (so far) it hasn't arrived.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...