We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wireless network problem

morters
Resolved

Likes # 0

I can send and receive e-mails. My partner can receive and send emails. I can send my partner an e-mail but she cannot send me an email. We are both using Windows 7 but have different ISPs. This seems to have started about the same time as I was trying but failed to set up a connection between her laptop downstairs and my new Epson SX535WD wireless printer upstairs.

My failure to set up the connection just shows my complete lack of understanding of a wireless network (?) and I’m pretty certain that fiddling around with my computer settings for network and internet trying to set up the connection has caused the email problem but have no idea how to undo what I’ve done.

Can anyone help me sort out the mess and confusion, please?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

should I start again with printer cd software?

Not necessarily, try to print with the other PC first.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Sorry, didn't see your last question. Don't understand 'Is she using a subject and proper text not just test.'

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Did you install the software previously on the other system? Does the printer show up under printers?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

When she creates the e-mails to you that are missing is she putting anything in on the subject line and is she putting text in the message or just leaving it mainly blank?

Just realised that you have different ISP's. How is she connecting? Do you have 2 lines?

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Woolwell, don't have a junk/spam folder on my toucansurf webmail. I thought I'd installed on the other computer but it doesn't show up on printers/devices on her computer. Yes, we have two different lines; partner is with BT broadband. Yes, her email has a heading and contains a lot of text for me to review/edit.

Nontek, can't print from her laptop.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

So yes, I think you should start again with installing Printer on the other laptop, using the supplied CD. Go slow and follow instructions carefully - easy to miss things!

Printer should appear in Control Panel on Laptop.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Does she have a separate router? Are your systems networked together? I suspect that your system will not allow her to use the printer wirelessly. How has she printed before?

Are you sure that she can send e-mails to everyone?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Nontek - 2 ISP's with 2 lines and therefore may well be different networks.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Thanks, Nontek, will eventually, (once this dialogue (trialogue?) is finished.

Woolwell, Yes, she has a BT router. I don't know if we are networked together; as I said early on, I don't really understand what a network is - I click the wizards and keep my fingers firmly crossed and hope that even though I don't know what I'm doing everything will work out fine. She printed before by emailing me what she wanted printing and I'd print it. A bit cumbersome.

Yes, I'm sure she can send e-mails to everyone; because I urgently need to work on the contents of her email I've e-mailed it to a friend who's successfully forwarded it to me - talk about a roundabout way!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Just want to check. You have two lines and 2 routers. You and the printer are connected to one router and your partner is connected to another. Is that right?

If that is correct then you will not be able to share the printer - it will be one or the other.

When you started changing wireless settings was it on your router or hers?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone