We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wireless network problem

morters
Resolved

Likes # 0

I can send and receive e-mails. My partner can receive and send emails. I can send my partner an e-mail but she cannot send me an email. We are both using Windows 7 but have different ISPs. This seems to have started about the same time as I was trying but failed to set up a connection between her laptop downstairs and my new Epson SX535WD wireless printer upstairs.

My failure to set up the connection just shows my complete lack of understanding of a wireless network (?) and I’m pretty certain that fiddling around with my computer settings for network and internet trying to set up the connection has caused the email problem but have no idea how to undo what I’ve done.

Can anyone help me sort out the mess and confusion, please?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If you can send and receive other e-mails and your partner can also send and receive then there is nothing really wrong with your setup. Have you looked in junk mail or tried logging in using webmail (using your browser) to see if the emails are there. On her system does the email to you appear in the sent box?

For the Epson do you have the green light, marked wifi, on the front of the printer, lit up?

It is the router password which is needed to log in wirelessly. The printer has a fairly good built in step by step process to connect wirelessly. You can follow the instruction in the guides available online.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Woolwell, even though I'm anything but an expert, my logic was exactly the same as yours, especially as I can email her. There's nothing in my junkmail (partner has been emailing me with no problems until yesterday); her emails appear in her sent box. Yes, the green wi-fi light is lit up on the printer.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Woolwell, something has obviously happened to my wireless connection; when I previously tried to test print, I got en error message telling me to USB connect to pc. Did this and it printed without problems. Unplugging the USB cable again prevents printer working.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm sorry but I fail to see how the wireless connection has stopped just one e-mail address. Did you look on webmail?

Have you set up the printer to work wirelessly with the PC you did the test print from? In Devices and Printers does it say Epson Stylus SX535WD (Network)?

I suggest that you probably need to uninstall the printer from that PC and reinstall.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Is webmail the same as Windows Live Mail? Have never used it, my email box is Outlook.

The test print I did was from my pc and prior to restoring pc to earlier date was working fine wirelessly; now it's not.

In Devices and printers I have Epson Stylus SX535WD (Network)and Epson SX535WD Series appearing; the latter is green ticked.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Sorry, should have added that if webmail is the same as Windows Live Mail, then I have nothing in it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Webmail is through your internet browser. It is not Windows Live Mail. If you have an e-mail address through your ISP go tot heir site and log in to e-mail there.

The green tick is for the default printer which in your case is the one connected by cable. Right click the network and one and choose set as default printer and you should now be able to automatically print wirelessly from that PC. You will still need to set it up on the second system.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

My guess is that the e-mail to you is being trapped by a spam filter. Is she using a subject and proper text not just test.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

No, webmail box empty.

Having followed your instructions can now print wirelessly. Cheers! 'You will still need to set it up on the second system' - should I start again with printer cd software?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Follow the instructions on the network guide on the Epson support site.

Did you check the junk/spam mail on webmail?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone