We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Miniature Screen Views

chestnutcake

Likes # 0

Hi On my desktop computer this morning [Windows 7 ] I opened an email from PCAdvisor giving the latest news and I clicked on to one report saying New iPad overheating. When I did this the page that came up did not fill the screen as normal, but was a miniscule panel and the text was so tiny, it was impossible to read. Going out of that and trying to get into Google, the same situation occurs, the heading for Google is so tiny, a stamp would cover it and again, impossible to read. The same situation with any web page I click on. However, my email section is not affected, writing is normal size and legible. Please can anyone help??

Like this post
chestnutcake

Likes # 0

Correction should have said when I go to open a page out of favourites, it coms up in the very top left hand corner of the screen on the top right hand, though this is not possibly relevant. The Google name is in the centre of the screen when That comes up.

Like this post
chestnutcake

Likes # 0

Correction again, my stress is showing. The web page comes up on the very top LEFT HAND corfner of screen NOT as I incorrectly then stated, right hand. I truly am going batty.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

3 more things to try:

In the search box under the start button, type internet explorer, right click on internet explorer in the search list and choose properties and then find the shortcut tab.

All programs - Accessories - System tools - IE without add-ons. Does that open ok.

System restore.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Do you have a four sided window showing top left or is one part off screen?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Could be IE is corrupt. Either try system restore as Woolwell suggest and/or reset Internet Explorer. This is found under tools,internet options,advanced tab then the reset tab. You'll need to re-enable your addons and I would do this a few at a time in case one addon is creating the problem.

Like this post
chestnutcake

Likes # 0

Hi again Apparently when I tried to go into Properties / Run/ Maximise etc, I was clicking on the IE Icon on my TASKBAR. My Sister said I should be clicking on to the one on the desktop. I duly did this and was able to choose Run and Maximise, Apply and O.K. However, in spite of doing this twice and closing down and then bringing Google up again, alas it did not work. Still the same situation. Now regrettably, I do not know what you mean by Four Sided Panel. The web pages that come up are exact miniatures of what they would be if my system was behaving normally. Far too tiny to read but you can recognise them as being the correct web page that you clicked on to come up. I would like to say how much I appreciate the trouble being taken to try to correct this infuriating problem.

Like this post
chestnutcake

Likes # 0

If IE is corrupt then I do not feel confident to do as you suggest so I will have to ask my Sister to come around tomorrow and have a go.

Woolwell and rdave13 I really appreciate the time and effort you are taking to try to solve my problem. Will have to wait now to see if Eve can come around tomorrow and follow your advice.

I don't use my laptop often but I am certainly glad of it on the odd occasion I have a hiccup with my Desktop.

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

chestnutcake,

I think perhaps that you have accidentally altered the zoom level on Internet Explorer to a very small value, possibly 50% or even less.

There is a zoom level control in the bottom right hand corner of Internet Explorer. If you click on the little down arrow you should be able to select 100% and get things back to normal.

If you can't correct things the way I have described try pressing and holding the CONTROL button and turning your mouse wheel away from you.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'm sure there was another thread from someone a few months back with the same problem and the solution was found - if I remember correctly it was some sort of setting but can't quite remember what needed to be altered. Will have a search back in hopes of finding it. It may (or may not) have been something to do with Active Desktop

Like this post
chestnutcake

Likes # 0

Good Morning, nice sunny day and hope I will have a positive outcome before long.

Thank you Peter for your suggestions and here is where embarassment sets in, I do not know where to locate the down arrow in Internet Explorer and I hate having to admit on this Forum as to how stupid I can be. Looking at the page where I have tried to go into Google and it is showing in tiny writing at the top of an otherwise blank screen there was a sort of arrow in the top right and corner underneath the blue band where all the options are listed. Clicking on this seemed to bring up more Google info but in even smaller writing and where I had clicked turned to a red square. Clicking on the red square, the Google info jumps back This all sounds so stupid, same as I am feelng at the moment.

Thankyou as well Lotvic, it will be wonderful if you do happen to locate the earlier posting, but this Helproom is so popular goodness knows if it will be possible given the volume of postings.

My Sister may be able to help but obviously I cannot say when she will be able call to action the valuable advice I have been given. If eventually, still no luck, I do have someone who repairs computers who I will telephone and see if she can call here to have a look.

One thing that may not be relevant is the IE Icon on my desktop. I only had one of these on the Tsskbar. Yesterday I needed to go into all programmes and drag IE on to the Desktop. Came up, large e the normal looking icon. Later this changed to an icon showing a white background with an inner smaller panel with coloured dots on, red, green, maybe blue? Whatever, it is still the IE icon because clicking on this brings up the correct screen - with the stupid miniature Google centre top. I love having computers, and so thankful to have two but at times like this, so stressfull but big THANKS to all who try to give good advice in this helproom. I will post again when I have any developments.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Dell adds Intel processor to new Wyse thin client

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...