We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC not closing down

geedad

Likes # 0

My HP Pavilion p6530uk, i5 Intel, 4GB Win 7 Home Premium, is not closing down as expected. When I attempt to shut down by clicking 'Shut Down', the PC continues to show "Closing Down" for many minutes and then does not do so, but re-starts!! I have mentioned this on our forum before, and a member suggested that it could be a running program in the background or a device proble. However, I have checked all devices, and they are OK, and I normally have no programs running when I wish to close down. Any clues and solutions, please?

Geedad

for many minutes

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try performing a clean boot to determine if it resolves the issue.

Performing a Clean Boot:

Click Start Orb > type msconfig in the searchbox
Click msconfig in the search results
Click the General tab, and click Selective Startup
Under Selective Startup uncheck Load Startup items
Click the Services tab, check the Hide all Microsoft Services box, and then click Disable All
Click OK, and when you are prompted, click Restart.
Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Have you checked Power Options to see what your current settings are - might be set to restart, rather than shutdown.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

PS, just for info - I have found that on Shutdown, if any programs are still running, Win7 automatically does the business anyway, and within just one or two seconds.

I am also running Win7 with a very similar setup to yourself.

Like this post
geedad

Likes # 0

northumbria61

Thanks, northumbria61, ,I will try all of the suggestions and links. Will let you know, (eventually!) the result.

Nontek.

Nice to know you have a similar setup, and thanks for the information. As does your PC, when "shutting down", any background software running is closed down prior to shut down - but perhaps not in my case, it seems. However, I will try to follow the advice, ,and let you know how I get on. Thanks a lot.

geedad

Like this post
geedad

Likes # 0

northumbria61

Thank you for your advice.

Tried your advice and links, to no avail. The registery advice from the link indicated that my PC was the same as recommended, and therefore no changes were necessary.

Nontek. Thank you for your response, but again, the settings are as recommended,IE Power Options set to Shut Down.

I thank you both for your responses, and hope that other forum members could pinpoint the problem to stop this annoying nuisance. I have to attempt to shut down the PC a second time when the first shut down fails!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

How do you 'close' the computer down, or does it eventually close itself down. Because there might be an answer there?.

Not the answer, but I seem to recall having a problem with XP, and it was something to do with 'hibernation'.

Like this post
geedad

Likes # 0

spuds Sorry for delay.

Power Button.

Do nothing.

Sleep.

Hibernate.

Shut down.

That is set to Shut Down.

Sleep Button

Do nothing

Sleep

Hibernate

That is set to Sleep.

Does that look OK to you? Thanks

geedad

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I would put Sleep Button at 'Do nothing' .....

Like this post
geedad

Likes # 0

Nontek

Thanks!

Will try!

geedad

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do