We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Setting up e-mail on new PC

WGW

Likes # 0

I recently purchased a new family pc due to an increasing number of problems with our old one. The new pc is made by Chillblast and has Windows 7 installed and basically nothing else. I know I'm behind the times these days when it comes to computers but I thought setting up email, etc, would be fairly straightforward even for the likes of myself.

Both my wife and daughter previously had their own email addresses set up in Outlook Express but now that I've come to realise that OE is no longer available, my problem is that I'm not quite sure what I need to do next to get them back up and running. I'm still able to access my own email through my business laptop and mobile but that's no use to the rest of my family.

I'm aware of Windows Live but I'm a bit confused as to how email previously available through OE can now be accessed via this new arrangement.

Can one of you kind people please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

Chillblast computers are supplied with very little software indeed as I recently found out. You will need an e-mail client to replace Outlook Express. The Microsoft equivalent is Windows Live Mail Live Essentials which is part of Windows Live Essentials. You do not have to download all of Live Essentials just choose (tick/untick) the parts you want. Be careful about Bing with it. Then you set it up for the e-mail accounts. It would be useful to make a note of the password and settings from the old computer.

If you want to transfer the old e-mails over that can be done too.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 1

Mozilla Thunderbird is an alternative that I chose. I found it very similar to Outlook in 'feel' which suited me.

A wizard guides you through 1st setup as I remember. Then Tools > Account Settings to add more accounts.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days