We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Drive partition

blueskye

Likes # 0

I am running Windows 7, but it does not support my Samsung camera. Samsung tell me that they have no plan to issue any update, so I would like to create a separate drive with Windows XP. Any help would be welcome.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Samsung may not have any plans, but someone may have found a solution.

Have you tried the usual, like running in Compatibility mode and searching 'yourcameraapp windows 7'?

Anyway, Dual booting guide here

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Why not use a card reader for your SD card? Do you need the Samsung software? I never install camera software as I use ny Photo software instead.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Or you could run XP as a Virtual Machine in W7.

See VMWare Player Free or Virtualbox.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Crossed in post.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I don't install any software that comes with any camera. I just connect the camera up using its USB lead and the camera appears as a USB hard drive. Then, in Windows Explorer, I just drag the photo files to wherever I want on the PC (and also delete them from the camera whilst in Windows Explorer).

Although I'm using WinXP, this should work in the same way on W7 as, without the camera specific software installed, the camera is just seen as a generic USB hard drive.

Once the photos are on the PC you can then use whatever general purpose piece of software that you choose to manage / edit etc.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I also don't install camera software. I use card reader for my SD card to copy pics to my pc - much simpler and quick.

Like this post
blueskye

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the suggestions. I suspect that the common choice of using an SD card sounds the simplest. I'll give it a go. Thanks again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded