We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connecting Lapto to TV

307camel

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have tried connecting my laptop to my LG LCD screen using HDMI to HDMI and have not had any luck. I have changed the laptop settings to external screen and changed the TV input source etc etc but still get "No signal".

Giving up on HDMI, i tried with a VGA to Scart cable. Still no luck!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Is there a PC input on your TV vga normally so you connect vga to vga then set tv IN ITS SETTINGS

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

i tried with a VGA to Scart cable. Still no luck!

basically these cables do not work you would need an adaptor

HDMI to HDMI

Do not use the Fn + F key arrangement to swap to external as that is for the VGA socket. Connect the laptop to the TV and then you need to alter the settings in the laptops display settings, You should then see somewhere a pull down menu that allows you to choose your connection. You should be able to highlight HDMI.

Like this post
307camel

Likes # 0

Update.

Tried a different HDMI to HDMI cable on the laptop which supports HDMI and it worked! Is this "heard of" to have a HDMI cable that is duff. It is a 5 metre cable so I wonder if this caused the issue (i.e. signal loss)?

VGA to Scart will not work (thanks Fruit Bat for advice).

For my non HDMI laptop, I will use a VGA to VGA cable and then a phono cable for sound.

Thanks Guys.

Any ideas on the HDMI cable I have will be useful.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Tried a different HDMI Cable - fine, glad it works, but are you aware that there are several different types of HDMI Cable?

HDMI Connections

Like this post
307camel

Likes # 0

No, I was not aware!

What are the different types and how can you distinguish.

I thought they were all 19 pin?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Different types shown in my link above.

However, I was getting myself a little confused, thinking of DVI not HDMI - with apologies!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...