We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No O/S. How can I start my old computer.

Taurus

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, I have just reformatted the HDD on an old Mesh machine I have acquired in order to install Win 98 (to play 7th guest etc). It required me to use the XP disc to do the reformat which I did and then i removed that and replaced it with a 98 disc but the machine is refusing to start from it of from indeed, the XP disc. I just get a message to remove media and press any key to restart. Pressing any key, with or without media, just causes the same message to be repeated. I have no floppy disks so I can't make a 98 boot-disk, is there anything I can do? Any help would be much appreciated.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

W98 requires formatting to FAT32 not NTFS.

You can download a boot cd instead of a floppy, haven't got the link handy but either google for one or maybe someone will post a link on here. Ultimate Boot CD I think is the one you want.

Like this post
Taurus

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic, I'm downloading Ultimate Boot CD as i write, I will post again with results.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Microsoft Support

Click on the above link for a walkthrough from Microsoft

Like this post
loonogs

Likes # 0

Have you got sorted out ?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded