We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows updates

Migwell

Likes # 0

I have 2 computers using Windows 7 home, one is a laptop with a full version of home and the other is a HP tower using the type of Windows 7 home that was supplied with it when it was new. Both versions are about the same age. But the laptop had a larger hard drive fitter and was first bought with Vista on it, but I put the full version on it not the update version.

When I switch the laptop off for the night it just does its thing and closes down without any fuss other than when an update is required and then it will take a little longer. When switching the tower for about the last two or three weeks, it has taken ages every night. It always has a warning on the screen about not un-plugging or removing the power until the update is finished.

Why should one computer be any different to the other when both are using the same operating system

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Switch of Windows Automatic update and just update manually 2nd Tuesday of each month.

It is probably trying to download the same update every night check and see what it is and then stop it from running again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...