We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

fitting new ram in Dual Xeon HT Core Quad (4)x 3.6GHz New HD545

jacobjohn7
Resolved

Likes # 0

i've got 2 more gb of ram(2x1) for this machine.. Dual Xeon HT Core Quad (4)x 3.6GHz New HD545 any help/guidance/links for fitting these?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

But that link is not for workstations. The service manual for the xw6200 states led blinks red 5 times and 5 beeps indicates memory problems.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Too slow posting.

Like this post
jacobjohn7

Likes # 0

Rec'd ram on crucial.. I've had ram from them before, so guess its worth the extra amount...

2GB kit (1GBx2)
DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Single Ranked • Registered • ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 72 • • Part #: CT821461

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I use mr Memory.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What are the full specs of the ram that is already in pc and works?

What motherboard is it? (SIW will tell you these)

Advice given are mostly shots in the dark as there seems to be no clear picture of exactly what specs/model your pc is, except it is a HP workstation XW6200. It could be one of three different motherboards as far as I can make out.

Like this post
jacobjohn7

Likes # 0

The computer is a HP workstation XW 6200 this is the dxdiag. Hope this helps as getting conflicting info from various suppliers, checked the crucial scan and recorded suggested results but don't want to break the bank... and I want 2 x 2gb now to make up to 6gb. My existing memory is ECC also. is the mhz a crucial factor also?, as I thought system needed 667 according to crucial but another provider said I need 400? Hope someone can help clear up a bit.

DXDIAG

System Information

Time of this report: 3/21/2012, 09:44:25 Machine name: ** Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpspsp3gdr.111025-1629) Language: English (Regional Setting: English) System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard System Model: hp workstation xw6200 BIOS: Default System BIOS Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.60GHz (4 CPUs) Memory: 2048MB RAM Page File: 952MB used, 4015MB available Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) DX Setup Parameters: Not found DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If it is 32bit XP then it is pointless going for 6Gb as the machine will only recognise around 3.2. 4Gb is the max for a 32 bit system.

You still have not told us which motherboard.

You have an old system (although new to you) which was designed to operate as a server. It may have been used 24/7 for some considerable time. The CPU may not be optimised for the games you want to play.

I would try 4Gb and see if you can get it to work.

Like this post
jacobjohn7

Likes # 0

hi, yes that did cross my mind about max ram, but the system said it supported 32 and 64 bit, but if its down to the OS then prob max at 4gb like you said, but it does specify 8gb max on ad for comp and on crucial? I'm not sure how to find out what motherboard it is. with regard to games, it plays the shogun 2 my son likes to play, but on low settings. If any higher it freezes, thought the extra ram would help this along its way, the old system comp has a decent gaming graphics card in however. . cheers

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that you will have Windows XP 32 bit and that is what determines the amount of RAM that can be used. You can install more but it will not be recognised or used.

An increase of RAM to 4Gb may help and will not harm.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Just so you know for future ref: DxDiag ("DirectX Diagnostics") is a diagnostics tool used to test DirectX functionality and troubleshoot video- or sound-related hardware problems.

DirectX: frequently asked questions ClickHere

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer