We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Boot into XP from an external disc on a Win 7 PC

Joe G

Likes # 0

I have rescued the HDD from my old PC which ran XP. It is connected via a USB IDE convertor to my new Win 7 PC. Can I use it to boot into XP on my new machine without affecting the Win 7 installation as there are a couple of programmes that will not work on Win 7 even in compatibility mode.

I suspect the answer is no - if not I will rescue the data I need from the programmes via a friends XP PC

Cheers

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

No.

What programs are you having trouble with? I am using Widows 7 64BIT and have not come across a program that did not work.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I am not sure but I beleive that you cannot boot a win 7 machine from an external drive, however you could create a virtual drive on you win 7 drive and run XP from there, using the old HDD as storage.

Terry

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Can I use it to boot into XP

No windows is designed not to boot from an external device (other than a network version)

XP can be made to boot from a mem stick with a great deal of trouble :0)

Like this post
Joe G

Likes # 0

Thanks all - I'm probably best installing the programme (Magix Music Studio 11) onto my friends PC then. Its not supported on Win7 and I've tried installing it in compatibility mode on my Vista laptop but it locks up when trying to install - I'm hoping the installation disc isn't damaged - I need to extract the midi files from the music I have created so I can recreate the pieces in a different DAW

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

IT would not boot as its for a different PC drivers for the hardware are different. Otherwise it should boot using a boot manager

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS using a boot manager, as nothing to do with win7 as its not even started

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Magix Music under W7 came up a few months ago here.

I don't think there was ever a satisfactory solution found.

Might be easiest just using your friend's machine to save/export what you want.

Like this post
Joe G

Likes # 0

Yeah that's my plan now - it may have been me who asked the earlier question!

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If all you need to do is to recover some midi files, then set the XP drive as a slave (or use a caddy). Boot to win 7 and access the XP drive (like any other drive and save your files elsewhere.

Terry

Like this post
Joe G

Likes # 0

Its a bit complex than that - the composed music is contained in the Music Studio files so is not directly accessible as midi - ie I need to run Music Studio and then run an option that allows me to export the midi files from the programme - I did it on a couple of compositions but not all of them unfortunately!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July