We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I have BT Broadband, can i use a WI-FI hotspot for free?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I have BT broadband, i have today received an email telling me:

*Can't wait to check your emails? Need to get the latest train times? Now you can do all this and more when you're on the go. As a BT Broadband customer you get free, unlimited access to our growing number of hotspots. So whatever you want to do, we can help you get connected. With more than 3.5 million wi-fi hotspots across the UK, it's easy for you to get online on the go. Our BT FON app – available on BlackBerry, Android, iPhone and iPad – lets you connect in moments. You can do it with your laptop too – just look for any BT FON or BT Openzone hotspots.*

I have found 'BT FON' with my laptop but im unsure whether i can log in now with any details or do i have to go through a registering process? BT are closed and i wont be home untiol tomorrow night so i just wondered if anyone can help me?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

enter link description here

enter link description here

Two links for you to look at which should explain everything for you.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

If you can find one, use it.

I have been with BT for nearly a year and have never yet found one of their 3.5 million free hot spots, either BT Fon or Openzone (except my own)!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

morddwyd - That may be because you live in Scotland. I was setting up a friend's wireless recently and it locked on to a BT Fon network automatically and appeared to get internet. Unfortunately the friend wasn't a BT customer and the Fon network was not what I was after.

You can find Fon hostspots using their site BT find hotspots

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"You can find Fon hostspots using their site BT find hotspots"

Yes but the idea is not too look up a hotspot and then go and find it, but to log on when you are actually out and about somewhere about your daily business, or rather not business, but your daily normal social intercourse

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

morddwyd - Of course I know that. The idea of the site is so that you may have some indication of whether you will find a hotspot. If you put in your area postcode you may well find that there are none nearby in which case you will be unable to log on.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I don;t want to "find" a hotspot, I just want one to be there, where I am!

Similarly, I don't want one "nearby". I want one when I'm out and about.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Having a quick Google I believe that you need to register. BT Wi-Fi.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes