We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot Boot from CD to install XP

geoff47

Likes # 0

I have been given a PC to fix. I was told it had a virus and that nothing was worth saving. I said I would wipe the drive and re-install Win XP I used DBan autonuked easy as pie. Then put the XP CD into the drive and rebooted to re-install. Nothing happened, it was waiting for "Multibay Device" I tried to alter the boot sequence but it seems I can't. Its a second hand Hewlett Packard Compaq that has all the right stickers on it saying it had XP on it before.

Any advice ?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Why can't you change the boot sequence? Can you get into the BIOS? If you can, don't forget F10 to exit and save.

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

I have booted into The ultimate boot disk and into an old CD copy of Mandriva just to test the boot sequence. When using the XP CD it just hangs at the prompt 'Waiting for multibay device'

I think I am giving it enough time, it goes directly to Mandriva or the Boot disk, but not to XP.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

You can install from USB flash if the PC allows.

I haven't tried the W7 tool with XP, but it's quick to find out.

Try Win2Flash if problems.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

MultiBay is hidden in Computer Setup.

Enter Computer Setup and set MultiBay to Device Available in Security > Device Security.

Then retry booting with the XP CD

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The XP CD you are using, is it a Retail, OEM or Recovery Disc burnt from HP Compaq

Restore Compaq and see also HP recovery "HP computers that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do not come with recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery information. The use of a separate partition provides a convenient process that eliminates the use of recovery discs that may be lost or scratched. A system recovery from the hard drive may not be possible in some circumstances. Your computer may contain Recovery Disc Creation software"

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

Many thanks, I am not near the PC at the moment but will give some of your ideas a try tomorrow.

I can't see why other CDs will load when booting but not the XP. It is an original bought copy, although not the one for the PC, but that shouldn't matter.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

It is an original bought copy, although not the one for the PC, but that shouldn't matter.

If that CD is an OEM- designed for that one machine only, it will not work (or load) on another computer. Only a Retail CD will work on any computer.

Terry

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

Try the cd in another machine

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

It was an upgrade version bought I believe from Novatech, so I am assuming it should be OK ?

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

isn't mandriva a linux operating system?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...