We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot Boot from CD to install XP

geoff47

Likes # 0

I have been given a PC to fix. I was told it had a virus and that nothing was worth saving. I said I would wipe the drive and re-install Win XP I used DBan autonuked easy as pie. Then put the XP CD into the drive and rebooted to re-install. Nothing happened, it was waiting for "Multibay Device" I tried to alter the boot sequence but it seems I can't. Its a second hand Hewlett Packard Compaq that has all the right stickers on it saying it had XP on it before.

Any advice ?

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

Had an hour or two tonight. Loaded Ubuntu and expected to be able to boot into XP from that, but couldn't.

Tried to load Win98 and it booted and began to install, but failed due to having no product key.

What should I be looking for on the CD when browsing it's folders ?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Just the ability to see and browse the folders, to give you an indication that the CD is still in a readable condition. Personally I feel it must be damaged in some way as you should be able to boot from it. Can't be the pc as it booted into the W98 cd to install, although you haven't a key.... Have a google for that, any old w98 key will do to finish the install as you will be replacing it with a valid XP product key. Not a good idea to leave it half installed and then expect to be able to switch to XP install - can't see that that would work.

By the way is that W98 or W98SE?

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

I could pull my hair out with frustration, Microsoft are sh*&.

I tried the Win98SE route, but failed due not having the Key to hand, I know I have it somewhere. So I tried another route, installed Mandriva again, and tried to install from within that direct from the CD, no go there either. Messed about with a boot disk, fascinating, if only I knew what I was doing. Anyway next time I booted with XP CD in tray it began to install. As far as I know the Product key I have been supplied is correct, also the key on my other PC that has Ubuntu installed must be correct. Anyways........when it got to the Window Key Verification bit.......like an hour into the install maybe longer, it reckons the key is invalid.......both the keys. Re-tried several times, still no go. Research tells me I have to have the right 'Type' of disc to match the key, or something.

No wonder that old Billy boy is so rich.

During this attempt to install a valid OS on a PC, I have downloaded and installed on the same PC the latest Ubuntu (which I don't like) and several older Linux vaiations as mentioned before, Mandriva one, Mandriver, and another that the name escapes me right now.Each install went without a hitch, and if the ethernet cable is plugged in connects immediately no bother.

Well I feel a little better after that mild rant........still haven't done what I set out to do though.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

You maybe would need an XP OEM install disc for the make/model you are fixing. Or a recovery disc for same.

Legitimate sources will make a replacement charge which will be nominal or substantial. Other sources would strictly be against the licence, even if you have a valid key! It's quite obvious when you Google which are koshe.

Another alternative, if your friend could bear it, would be to buy a W7 Upgrade disc. I think that is likely to be £70 or more though.

And while many love W7, it's still a little bit of a learning process from XP.

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

Some HP computers DO come with recovery cd's, I have had 2.

You will probably find that the machines bios has a tattoo that will only allow the correct cd to reinstall windows. The disk will have a separate boot section that triggers the bios to install windows.

Google "tattooed hard drive and bios" or look at this link if it will work.

enter link description here

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

The PC is a HP Compaq, I don't know it's source, but I suspect it was bought second hand, and wrecked by my friend or family member by thinking it works like a TV.

I don't think I am trying to do anything remotely illegal or going against the licencing agreement for the OS, there are at least three PC's in my possession that had XP installed and are now running something else, so the Licence for them should be transferable.

Is there no way to totally wipe the HDD to overcome this sort of pernickety carry on ? Although as the link says the problem might be on the motherboard.......

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

What you need is a set of 3 HP restore disks.

The first disk activates the bios to boot from CD/DVD

The second disk loads windows.

The third disk loads drivers and software.

Any HP set of restore disks will kick start the installation progress.

I have used them for desktops and HP laptops running XP.

You choice is to borrow some HP restore disks or change the motherboard and kill disk the hard drive.

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

So its, official restore disks at a cost, or change the motherboard at cost and wipe the HD ?

I shall tell him.......he wont like that, he thinks I am clever.

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

I could rummage through some boxes to see if I have a set of disks.

I know I have a spare HP Vista disk.

Let me know if interested via yellow envelope.

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

Thanks for the offer, but I am only doing this as a favour. I shall try and talk him into having Ubuntu, it has to be the easiest solution.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Contactless payments to launch on London public transport this year

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

NASA offers free 3D models of satellites, probes and planets for 3D printing and animation projects