We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot Boot from CD to install XP

geoff47

Likes # 0

I have been given a PC to fix. I was told it had a virus and that nothing was worth saving. I said I would wipe the drive and re-install Win XP I used DBan autonuked easy as pie. Then put the XP CD into the drive and rebooted to re-install. Nothing happened, it was waiting for "Multibay Device" I tried to alter the boot sequence but it seems I can't. Its a second hand Hewlett Packard Compaq that has all the right stickers on it saying it had XP on it before.

Any advice ?

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

try contacting pentax or refer to your pentax documentation

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

You say that it is an upgrade version, therefore you need the original installed before you can upgrade it.

Terry

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

CD should still boot though if the other ones did.

Are you able to check the XP cd that you have, maybe it is damaged.

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

Mandriva is Linux, I tried it out some time ago and had the disc available to try to boot into on the non booting PC. I am currently using Ubuntu on a second PC.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Lotvic my old XP HP laptop had CD's with it which inc full copy of XP I also have the for XP home for HP machines

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Strawballs, That's fine for you but geoff47 isn't using HP XP media he's using an XP upgrade version bought from Novatech and he's nuked the harddrive... so I'm stumped.

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

How about if I install win98 and then upgrade ?

I think I have that CD somewhere.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes, worth a try. But still think the upgrade cd should start up and then you just put the w98 cd in when prompted during the upgrade install of XP

Have you put the XP cd in another pc to explore it's contents? that should give some indication of the state of it.

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

I have nothing since first post, no time. I shall give it all a go over this weekend......and report back.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If/when you put the XP cd in another pc to explore it's contents hold down the shift key until all cd drive activity stops, then cd won't autostart and you can browse it's folders in Windows Explorer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...