We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

acer aspire 5738z startup problem

bigboab y

Likes # 0

My 5738z has stopped starting (if you get my drift).I left it plugged into its charger overnight. When I pressed the "on" switch,nothing happened until about an hour later it started of it's own accord . I then noticed the date/time had restored to default i.e some time in 2009.Could a faulty CMOS battery be the cause of this? The main battery is a good one btw ,and the charger seems fine. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Could well be battery. uses a standard 2032 - disassembly instructions here

Like this post
bigboab y

Likes # 0

Looked up whats involved in changing the cmos battery...an almost complete strip down.......before I attempt that,can someone confirm that a faulty battery would cause my problem,or is it more likely to be a faulty mobo not charging it.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

The batteries are like watch batteries. The mobo does not charge them, they only supply the clock chip and have to be replaced after say 3 or more years.

If the battery holder is just a couple of contacts, you can buy a new bare battery almost anywhere.

If it is sleeved in plastic, with wires and a small connector. you are probably best looking at buying from a UK Laptop Spares company.

I had a quick look on eBay etc but couldn't see one listed for 5738z. My searching may need refining.

Like this post
bigboab y

Likes # 0

Thanks for that Robin,but I'm still not convinced a dodgy cmos battery is causing the problem.If someone could say yes or no I would know where I stood....Looks like I'll have to stick it on Ebay for spares/repair

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Service Manual

This should be useful, I am as certain as one can be, that your problem is a dud CMOS battery.

I had a very similar problem a few years ago with a similar laptop, and was able to download and follow the Service Manual to effect a replacement of the CMOS battery - I HAD NEVER DONE ANYTHING LIKE IT BEFORE! I am also a very Senior OAP.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It could well be a dodgy battery. A replacement battery is likely to be cheaper than buying a replacement laptop. You could try contacting Acer Acer Support although it is an 0871 number or if out of warrant the 50p a minute line. They are based in UK and I have found them to be helpful. Their spares depot also used to be in Devon but moved to Poland!

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

To make clear my position. I am also convinced the BIOS battery needs replacing.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone