We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer powers on but no signal to monitor

JConcept4

Likes # 0

Morning

I recently tried to install a second hard drive in my computer which has been working fine. When I powered off my machine and installed the second SATA drive my monitor would no get a signal from the computer when rebooted.

Lights on the mobo all turn on ok, the fans all kick and spin, the cd drive opens and closes.

I've tried a few things like holding the power button for 30secs, removing ram etc but nothing is helping.

Anybody any ideas?

(I've also tried a second graphics card in the machine and exactly the same, no signal to monitor, the mobo has no on board graphics)

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Adding a second HDD will not have caused this problem I wouldn't have thought. If it was just the one card I would have suggested making sure it was seated correctly,but you say you have tried another GPU. What is your motherboard by the way?

Can you try another cable,just to rule that out or not as a cause of the lack of signal to the monitor.

Like this post
JConcept4

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply

After an hour of tweaking and messing all is now ok.

In the end I cleared the CMOS and reset the mobo.

I then unplugged the power lead and held the power button down for 1min.

After that all is good again.

Computers eh.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Odd,still glad it is sorted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite