We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems with CD.DVD Drive

Ankermi

Likes # 0

Windows XP Home SP3 AMD Atholon 64x2Dual Core Processor 6000, 1.9GB RAM,NYDIA Ge Force,6150SE. DV Drive - MAXTOR STM3250310AS Disk Drives(highlighted) with another listed as TSSTcorpCDDVDW SH-S223F - DVD/CD R

Device Manager showing no problems. AVG Clear. DV Drive showing devise working properly.

OK the problem is that the family desktop computer has a large number of photos/documents on it. All of these have been backed up on CDs (fortunately with a second copy of a portable hardrive)

Putting in Disc 1 (for this exercise Anglesey) the disc reads in the correct manner. However once ejected a problem occurs.

Put in Disc 2 (for this exercise Sikkim) and it immediately reads Anglesey and when it is opened Anglesey Photos are there.

Guidance, thoughts etc please.

Like this post
Ankermi

Likes # 0

Hi everyone Just to say am not ignoring you all but have been on holiday and then today the dog has died so things a bit ....

Thanks for the responses will have a look over the weekend and then revert back to you.

Thanks again Ankermi

Like this post
Ankermi

Likes # 0

Hi guys Thanks for your support. Sorry for the delay in responding.

OK the disc cleaner has not improved anything.

The Cache flush did clear something out not sure what it was.

The situation remains the same.

Steps I have now tried is I have formatted a new CD and a new DVD on another computer (Vista) and these allowed us to copy across from that laptop and then back again.

On trying the two new disc (CD and a DVD) in the desk computer (XP) it is not allowing a simple "copy" to take place.

We have also, since flushing the cache, put in disc A and that reads perfectly and we can copy back and forth. On ejection and putting in disc B it initially showed us what was on disc B and opened. We ejected that one. (NB these were formatted on the xp desktop and have never been used elsewhere)

Put in Disc 1 again and there it was Windows does not recognise the format. Please re-format the disc the try again. Well obviously one does not want to re-format as it loses all the info.

Device Manager is still showing no problems.

Do you think this might be a registry problem, I have no ideas so suggestions welcome.

Ankermi

Like this post
Ankermi

Likes # 0

Forgot to say all our CD and DVD are formatted to read on any computer

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What sort of CD,DVD's are you using? I've never formatted one. They've always come pre-formatted ready for use.

Like this post
Ankermi

Likes # 0

Sony CD-RW 700 (ReWriteable)

Sony DVD + RW 120min 4.7GB (ReWriteable)

Neither say they are pre-formatted and they have always been formatted on the system and worked ok until recently.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Oh, I didn't realise they were RW's.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia