We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband keeps dropping out

derrick229

Likes # 0

My Broadband keeps ropping out after 15 minutes oe so, even the wifi I have tried connecting my laptop via ethernet as well, but it drops out as well I run Windows XP Pro I have my broadband with Sky (I dont have any problem getting my Sky TV or BB from them) I have had 2 engineers out to check the line, they said they rectified the faults, but never said what it was though I have had 2 new routers from Sky, another on the way I have tried all I know, I have had the Sky people run all there tests, so far nothing has been found at fault Is it my PC ? Is it the ethernet card ? Is it the router(s) Is it the line ? Is there a program out there that can check if my ethernet card is at fault ? I have put a new one in, but that may or may not be faulty I really dont have a clue what is wrong here, but it has been like this since Christmas 2011 Help or advice would be appreciated Derrick

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I had very similar symptoms to what you described. Went through changing routers, filters etc to prove that it wasn't my system set-up at fault. I have BT as my phone provider so tried the quiet line test and that showed no fault. BT did the same test and said that there wasn't a fault. To cut a long story short, I noticed there was a slight interference whenever someone spoke on the phone line. Slight hissing,clicking that distorted the voice just a little bit. Fault was a slightly corroded connection in a BT cabinet. Without being rude try concentrating on the quality of the phone line next time someone calls or try 1471 if you have that feature. Engineer said that in time it would have got worse.

Like this post
derrick229

Likes # 0

I had my phone with BT, then changed to Sky, I have alll the bells and whistles they offer with it (1471, 151, free calls to Sky support, that is really handy)

I think you maybe right about this 'handshake' thing, it hasnt dropped out this morning (I have internet radio, it hasnt stopped (buffering) at all this morning

I have got quite a collection of routers now, various makes, getting another from Sky soon to add to the collection

When the new one arrives, I'm going to ask for another Engineer to check out the green box up the road

Like this post
derrick229

Likes # 0

We now have another router, a sagemcom, so another add to the collection, its been on a couple of hours now, the speed aint great, but so far it hasnt dropped out completely, slowed down a bit, oh, well here's hoping

Like this post
derrick229

Likes # 0

We now have another router, a sagemcom, so another add to the collection, its been on a couple of hours now, the speed aint great, but so far it hasnt dropped out completely, slowed down a bit, oh, well here's hoping

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Could be the routers (all of them) router idle time out settings is incorrectly set Especially if you have just the factory settings, on some they disconnect you if no traffic up/down for as little as 5 mins. And/or it might be Authentication probs where router doesn't disconnect completely but ISP's server drops you off the list and then has to put you back on before you can receive traffic again.

Like this post
derrick229

Likes # 0

lotvic

Any ideas how I could alter them ?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes you can alter the Idle time out, depends on the router though. If you post Name and model of Router I'll have a go at finding where it is in settings. I remember I had to change that on a router supplied by TalkTalk that dropped out every 30 mins but am not using that router at present.

You could google for Idle time out (and the router name & model) would be quicker and you would get more info on other settings that could be tweaked.

Like this post
derrick229

Likes # 0

I have now installed the new router, I have connected it up to 2 PC's, I run a BB test on both, this one drops out after 15-20 minutes, the other hasnt dropped at all, both are running Windows XP, both have nearly the same programs on them

The other PC is used just for watching programs from the internet and streaming videos, its fine

Now this other PC that keeps dropping out, what do I need to replace to stop it dropping out (I know I have installled a new ethernet card, but if it needs another replacement I can get it, but would it help and work ?)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best camera phone of 2015: iPhone 6 Plus vs LG G4 vs Galaxy S6 vs One M9 vs Nexus 6

IDG UK Sites

In defence of BlackBerrys

IDG UK Sites

Why we should reserve judgement on Apple ditching Helvetica in OS X/iOS for the Apple Watch's San...

IDG UK Sites

Retina 3.3GHz iMac 27in preview: Apple cuts £400 of price of Retina iMac with new model