We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Copy or backup

fifty-and-some

Likes # 0

What is the difference between backup & copy for backing up programs?

Say with Microsoft Office 2007 can I just copy it to an external hard disk, or burn to a DVD?

If I copy and need to copy back or back up and restore does it recognise the computer it’s going to, or does this count as 2 of three downloads?

If backup program is required, any recommendations please.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

My apologies fifty-and-some, I assure you I am not trying to muscle in or hi-jack your post, it is something robinofloxley has posted.

robinofloxley you stated in the third post above to 'You can make sure by enabling in Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View.' Reading your post I realised that you were suggesting something that was eminently sensible. And then I ran ino a problem when I opened 'Windows Exporer'. No 'Tools'!! So do you - or does anyone else - know of a way for me to get 'Tools' showing in 'Windows Explorer'.

All help gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

ok if you c: to disc what type of disc did you use, cd-r or cd-rw. CD-R you can write to the disc but cant copy from that disc.

CD-RW allows you to copy to the disc and retrieve the data from that disc.

Like Lovtic i to use Acronis you can buy it from amazon and back up the operating system and files to an external disc. This comes in handy, if the computer was damaged from water or other accident and i couldn't access the hard drive from the computer, but get another computer and install acronis then i can access the data saved on the external hardrive.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Windows Explorer > Organize > Layout > Menu Bar

Or just press the Alt key

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

robinofloxley,

Many thanks for that. What I don't understand is that I have already - at some point - ticked/unticked some sections, so I obviously had it there before. I haven't changed anything - but something I have done/not done has caused the change. I find this a little worrying, and I will proably finish up asking you again, should the menu bar disappear!! My memory is disappearing so if there are things I need to change the chances are I will have to ask someone.

In the meantime, robinofloxley, many, many thanks for your kindness in helping me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features