We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Copy or backup

fifty-and-some

Likes # 0

What is the difference between backup & copy for backing up programs?

Say with Microsoft Office 2007 can I just copy it to an external hard disk, or burn to a DVD?

If I copy and need to copy back or back up and restore does it recognise the computer it’s going to, or does this count as 2 of three downloads?

If backup program is required, any recommendations please.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

If you're talking about the installation executable files - i.e. what you run when you install the software - you can do pretty much as you wish. I have copies of e.g. Office saved to an external hard drive and to a couple of DVDs as well, just for safety. Backing up/copying (there's really no difference) your programs in this manner is entirely legal and doesn't count as an installation. And, in fact, absolutely should be done.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

If you just select all files and folders on a CD/DVD and copy to a folder on your hard drive, you may miss ones that are marked as Hidden or System.

You can make sure by enabling in Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View.

In fact, for Office, it is more convenient to Install from your hard drive instead of the CD/DVD.

It doesn't prompt to insert the disc when it needs an occasional extra file, or if running a repair. It's quicker too.

To make extra backup copies of CD/DVDs as well, use Imgburn, for example.

Select 'Create Image File from Disc' to get a single .iso file.

Remove the disc and pop a blank one in.

'Write Image File to Disc'

Imgburn automatically copies everything. Hidden, system and boot information on the disc.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I use Acronis True Image for backing up my C: drive that's the Op Sys and all installed programs and their settings. That way I don't have to start from scratch tweaking settings and email accounts and can be back up and running in half an hour.

For my personal docs that I have on a separate HDD I now just do a straight copy of My Documents onto an external HDD and some of my photos etc I burn to CD/DVD as well.

Like Ian in Northampton does I also have copies of programs (and a note of their product keys) should I ever want to just reinstall a single program.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you want a copy of Office 2007 already as an .iso that you can use your own product key with go to this site for the official microsoft office-2007-direct-download-links that won't count as any download allowance (I presume you mean your account with microsoft?) that you mention in your first post.

Scroll about halfway down the page of the links to the .iso's for English(USA) versions

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I do the same as lotvic.My data is actually on a separate partition and I use Freefilesynch to make frequent mirror image copies of the whole folder to another drive.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

and I made a typo, that should be the .exe not an .iso for the office2007 downloads. sorry about that I was thinking of the W7 downloads which are .iso's

so after you have downloaded the .exe then you can burn to DVD or just save the exe elsewhere.

jb, Freefilesynch sounds good will have a look at that.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

lotvic I like it - very similar to SynchToy.I have all data under a master folder: My Documents, with sub and sub sub folders like in XP (My Word Docs, My Pictures, My PDF files, My music etc and even My Outlook). You create a copy of the "left hand" My Documents folder from my data partition to a mirror image on the right hand identical folder -in my case on a second, removable caddy mounted drive. The first time takes a long time but after that only the changed or deleted files change so subsequent mirrors are very quick.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

john bunyan, thanks for details, sounds just the job :)

fifty-and-some how are you getting on with understanding all the advice offerings? anything take your fancy yet?

Like this post
fifty-and-some

Likes # 0

Thank you for the help, I am still uncertain where I am.

I burnt Office 2007 from C:\ to disc.

Also copied it to external hard drive. Getting the message errors occurred, a report has been sent. What that means? I hope not logged as installing to 2nd pc.

I appreciate that a backup program coping all files .exe & hidden has advantages.

Should I need to reload operating system, or upgrade.

Do I just copy it back? Will it then require the installation disc to supply missing files, without consider this a 2nd installation?

In the case of upgrade would it consider this a 2nd installation?

robinofloxley says In fact, for Office, it is more convenient to Install from your hard drive instead of the CD/DVD. How would this work, just copy the installation disc to C; \ Is it to late now installed from disc?

I use a Maxtor external HD with backup program for data files, but with 10 generations of backup, it is a bit much for program files.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Did you just burn all the files in, say, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\ ?

That does not work. It has to be installed with the files from the Install Disc.

That can be done with the Install Disc or a copy of the Install Disc (on the main drive).

Installation then creates the Program Files folder with everything necessary for that computer only.

You can install as many times as you want on the same computer. ie if the Install went wrong or disc got corrupted.

If you want to install on another computer, you need to install again.

If you have a Single User Licence, you need to buy another licence then. Or uninstall the other computer.

If you have a Family Licence, it covers three computers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad