We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

open word excel in file

awest3

Likes # 0

I have office 2010. I'd like word/excel to open in the file screen rather than the home screen. Can I do this ?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Don't think that it is possible.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Agree with Woolwell

You can of course make desktop shortcuts to a few files say particular documents or worksheets, if all you want is fast access to a particular file.

Clearly this is not an answer if you want to keep a comprehensive and very long long list of files.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

I have a list of about 9 files I mostly use so thought it would be better to open in file rather than home. It was worth a shot. Thanks for the replies.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

W7 jump list is very good for that.

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

I have Win 7 and MS Office 2010 and both excel and word documents open in File screen.

Do you save your documents in the file screen mode?

I'll search my settings and see if I can come up with something.

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Sorry awest3 I was just having a senior moment; my comments above are rubbish!! My documents also default to Home on opening.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

i'll have a look at jump lists.. thanks

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

If I am reading your requirements - You want to view specific Word OR Excel filenames and then open them in the appropriate programme, - I have about a dozen Word and Excel files that I use all the time using shortcuts on the desktop and then click on the required shortcut to open the specified file. - or am I misunderstanding as to what you want?

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Hi, Thanks for this.

I'd just like word 2010 to open in 'File' rather than 'Home'. This way I can see all my recently used docs and just click on them to open.

I don't really want shortcuts on my desktop for them.

Its not a major issue as its only one click to switch to File.

I just thought it would be a simple thing to do...does not look like it though.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that they named the tab as Home is a clue as to their intentions as to the start point.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made