We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Installing Programs Outside The Program Files Folder

307camel

Likes # 0

Hi everyone,

I am partitioning a drive but am a bit concerned that I will be making the drive for windows/programes too small.

If this is the case and I install programs outside the "Program Files" Folder, will this cause issues?

Will these programs appear as normal, when you press the start button. Or will this not happen.?

Many thansk

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I have a small OS drive (64GB) and install my programs on another larger drive. Before installing a program I create a folder on the data drive prior to installing. So, say I installed DVD Flick, I'll create a folder on the D drive called Flick, or whatever, then when installing you get the option where to install. Click on the browse button and select the folder that you created (Flick in this case) and it will install there. You will have it in your all programs list and a desktop icon if you select it on installing as normal.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Most core programs on installation reach a stage where you are offered a drive (default is C:) to install. If you change the drive letter on that screen the program will be installed in the alternative drive you specified.

A very few may not give you an option.

If you have the possibility of moving the partition to be a shade more generous with drive C: that might serve you better, particularly in backup where all the serious programs and OS can be kept together for Acronis type backups.

Data of course can be kept off drive C: in a folder of your making on any drive other than C: ........ This is well worth doing anyway IMO.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I had a 60GB SSD, (since moved to a 128GB M4),I had my OS and all programs, (around 70), installed on the drive and still had around 14-16GB of free space. I moved all the My Folders to my larger secondary drive and of course installed Steam and games to the same drive. Like rdave13 I too created a folder for each game etc on the secondary drive before installing to that folder. With Steam this means that if I should reinstall Windows on the SSD then all it takes is a repair install of Steam for me to have access to my games again, which at 300GB is a major time saver.

Like this post
307camel

Likes # 0

Thanks guys.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...