We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Data connections to tablets

stlucia2

Likes # 0

On looking at the specs for tablet computers (still!), I see that most of them don't have any socket other than a headphone socket. So, how do people get data in and out of them, please? I'm thinking of spreadsheets from my PC, and photos from my camera, for instance.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Those like the Galaxy Tab, iPad and Xoom definitely have wired data coonection ports.

Which tablet have you looked at that doesn't?

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Sorry, I'm referring to USB ports. The iPad and Samsung Galaxy don't have them, according to the comparison table I was looking at http://tablets-review.toptenreviews.com/.

They have charging ports, so does data go in/out via that connector?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I can only speak for the ipad but yes the data does use the charging port. You use the same cable to charge as you do to connect to the PC where with itunes you can move your files to and from. There is also the icloud but to be honest I have not been impressed with its so called sync abilities no matter what the TV ad says.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Thanks, Chronus. So, if you want to get pictures from your camera or phone to your iPad, you normally download them to your PC first, and then transfer them?

I see now that there's a Camera Connection Kit for the iPad, which gives you (I think) a USB socket and an SD card socket, and a similar thing for the Samsung Galaxy. Pity they didn't install them in the factory, rather than charge £25 or so extra.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

stlucia2

Installing them would add to the initial cost and would mean thicker tablets.

With the ipad there is no need to connect to the computer to download photos from the computer, it can now be done over wi-fi.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Galaxy seems to have usb

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The iPad syncs via iTunes by USB using the supplied cable which fits to the power socket or wifi. The camera connection kit is only for connecting a camera by USB or for reading a SD card it will not work with a USB memory stick (I tried and it came up and said there was insufficient power).

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

wiz-king

If you look at the manual the connection to a PC is standard USB but the connection to the Tab is similar to an iPod, iPhone, iPad connection. Picture and called the Multifunction Jack

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Samsung SD Card and USB Adapter kit. I think you need one of these adapters made by Samsung available on Amazon if you read the comments/review at bottom it says you can even plug a mouse in and use that as well as using it for usb memory sticks

and thanks for starting this thread, I've been dithering over which tablet to get because of the usb thing :)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I've had an iPad for nearly a year and a lack of a USB port hasn't been a problem at all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days