We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Helproom

oldbiggles

Likes # 0

Can you please tell me where I might get a copy of the following BIOS for my PC which has start up problems:- Phoenix Technologies LTD 6.00 PG, 11/17/2006 SM BIOS vers 2.2 evesha 42302e31, MOBO is Foxconn 965X7AA Vers FAB1.2. Trevor Holt visa home premium sp2.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Updating or flashing a BIOS is a last resort as failure during the Flash leaves your machine as an expensive doorstop.

What exactly are you star up problems?

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

Did you add ram to your pc ?

Like this post
oldbiggles

Likes # 0

Tks for the interest, my PC has had intermittent start up for some time now I can always recover it by resetting several times and if that fails using system restore. I have been through the startup repair routine to no avail and I have had very lengthley disccusions with Microsoft on the subject and after discounting driver problems they suggest that the BIOS is corrupt, hence the request for a source of a reflash.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

The basic BIOS is hardwired to the board, and it is not advisable to mess with it unless there is no alternative.

What you could try (if you feel confident enough).

Disconnect the power cable. Open the computer and look for the Silver battery. Next to it there should be a bios reset. This is a 3 pin item with 2 pins covered.

As a first step: Remove the battery weit a few hours and replace the battery. The BIOS may reset itself to the defaults.

If that fails:

Look for the small reset and move the jumper (small connecter) from 1-2 to 2-3. Wait a few minutes and return to original position. This wipes the bios and forces it to reload from the hardwired motherboard settings.

If you are not sure about any aspect of the above- do not try it as you may end up with a large paperweight.

Terry

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You said: "discussions with Microsoft on the subject and after discounting driver problems they suggest that the BIOS is corrupt"

I think is very unlikely to be a corrupt BIOS, however I don't know the details of pc problem.

Are you able to access the BIOS and look at the settings? (do you know how to do this?)

Does pc pass the POST screen okay and boot into Windows?

Please tell us the make and model and Op Sys of your pc and then details of what happens when you have start up problem.

You said: "I can always recover it by resetting several times and if that fails using system restore"

When you do manage to get it going does everything work okay or not?

You ought to tell us why driver problems have been discounted and as many details as possible so that we can give relevant advice.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Could be a PSU failing. Resetting several times makes me think that the PSU needs time to 'warm up' to give the proper output to the mobo and peripherals.

Like this post
oldbiggles

Likes # 0

Thanks for your suggestions guys Ill give them a go today.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014