We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Error Log in Windows XP

williamj

Likes # 0

My error log under 'Source' "Service Control Manager" under 'Description' shows "The OMSCAN service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified." My P.C. starts up O.K. but I would like to know how I can identify the file that is mising, and what OMSCAN actually means.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

enter link description here

It does not 'do' anything - this link may help you get rid!

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The only reference I find for OMSCAN mentions the possibility that this is related to HP Open Mail server or, possibly, scanner software, such as Omnipage: OR you may have been infected.

Have you intentionally or unknowingly downloaded and installed any software from OMNITECH, and it is interfering with the functioning of your system.

There may be something here to help - have a read through all the information here. enter link description here

Like this post
williamj

Likes # 0

Thanks Guys. checked SYSEDIT and SYSTEM.INI & WIN.INI and no reference to OMSCAN. There maybe a problem with my HP psi 2100 all in one printer as there is a Yellow exclamation mark at "Dot4 HPZ12 psc 2100(Dot 4). The printer still operates satisfactorily. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer but the yellow exclamation mark still persists.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try a driver update from HP enter link description here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3+ (UK Sony Xperia Z4) UK release date, price and specification: Pre-order the Sony Xp9......

IDG UK Sites

Why Intel’s vision of the future is a future I want to live in

IDG UK Sites

What Jony Ive's new job means for Apple design

IDG UK Sites

Jony Ive 'semi-retired' into new role: kicked upstairs as Chief Design Officer