We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do batteries just die?

Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I just acquired a rather nice secondhand PB All-In-One. It has a TV tuner, and comes with a remote. But: I can't get the remote to function. An IR driver is loaded and shows no errors, so the only thing I'm left to think is that the remote's batteries are dead. It uses a pair of those flat silver ones, about the size of a 10p piece. I checked with the seller, and she had never used the remote in the two years she'd had the PC. So: have the batteries just died - even though they've never been used - and I need to replace them?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'd go for the battery replacement. They've been in the remote for 2 years not sealed up in packaging.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Clean the front of the remote.Does the remote show any sign of life when pressing anything on it.If it has never been used maybe the batteries have a cover in the bottom of them that needs to be removed before they will work.

£1 shop should sell them.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Buy them from the pound shop and you get what you pay for, rubbish.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Before you do anything else.

Get an ordinary pencil > Rub it over both sides of the Batteries and the Contact points within the Remote > Reinstall > Try again > Just in case a build up of Oxides has broken a contact somewhere down the road.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Many thanks guys. Some things to check out there.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

Shelf life, they do die after a period of time even if they are not used because there is a certain amount of internal resistance involved which runs the battery down eventually.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If in the remote they are in use, even if not pressing any buttons, so I would expect them to be dead after two years.

Your lucky they haven't corroded, clean the contacj faces as suggested before fitting new batteries.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Good stuff again, guys. Thanks.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

To check if a remote is working point it at a digital camera or video camera, and observe it on the camera screen. You should see it flashing when you press a button as the camera sensor will detect the Infra Red.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback