We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win7 Home Premium X64, Fresh Install, I/O Errors

pegoff

Likes # 0

I bought a laptop (HP G56 130sa - Win7 Home Premium X64 pre-installed) at the beginning of 2011, just out of warranty the hard drive gave me SMART errors.

I tried to create recovery disks while the OS was still working but the disk creation application always failed and couldn't write the disk/s.

Then the drive failed.

After the drive failed I purchased some recovery disks from the manufacturer, HP.

I bought a new 500gb 2.5" sata drive:

Western Digital - WD5000BPVT/T as close to the original as I could find on short notice, but I'm not sure if this could explain the issue I am now experiencing.

The original drive was:

Toshiba - HDD2H82 F VL01 T Also 500gb

I reinstalled Windows 7, Home Premium, X64. Using the recovery disks.

Shortly after install I did all the important updates on windows update and went about using my nice fresh OS but then I tried copying some files to one of my external USB drives and it stalled with 'Unable to copy files due a an I/O error'.

I was worried about my external so I tried a different one, same error.

Then I tried winzip to unrar some files and that too stalled with a CRC error.

I can transfer between external drives on USB with no errors, it only seems to occur when the HD with the OS on it is involved.

I reinstalled again thinking maybe it was one of the updates making my system unstable (I've actually reinstalled numerous times now in an attempt to eliminate other causes like preloaded software that came with the HP)

I have run memory tests with both windows (and Linux) - zero errors.

CHKDSK (when I can get it to run) has previously given numerous results with different installation ranging from freezing at 5% to returning no problems found.

I have no idea what to do now, my BIOS is up to date, my memory checks out, my hard drive is new... but I feel like I'm facing the possibility that I need another one?!

I have finally installed a completely fresh version of Win7 Home Premium X64 from different disks. Left it disconnected from the internet and not done any updates. The OS fails after restarting this time and I am currently running a USB version of Linux SLAX to write this :)

SLAX is great but it's limited and I'm not really into Linux.

I read something about changing the hard disk cache values but no idea if that's the right direction to go.

Essentially every time I install it goes wrong between an hour and a few days later.

Any ideas? If you need more info please let me know :)

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

"I/O" stands for Input/Output, so an "I/O Device" is the Input/Output device you happen to be using at the time. An "I/O Device error" means that some kind of unrecoverable error happened on that device. Which would suggest that perhaps your new hard-drive might be faulty. You could run a couple of test on the hard-drive.

Something like this: Disk info. or this: Acronis. There are others but I'm am on the iPad at the moment so when I get to my desktop I'll have a look for others. But these should give you a fair idea on the state of your new HDD. Although Windows 7 comes with many generic drivers it is always best to install the ones from your laptop maker.

Like this post
pegoff

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronus,

I tried both the apps you suggested, they worked a treat. Both showed errors on the new HDD. I'm going to source a replacement from the internet of the exact make and model that came out and see if it gives me any joy.

The reason I'm a little concerned is that the original drive died and now a second drive too. I can't know if the fault was there from the start as I didn't have these useful utilities with the replacement, but what I'll do is put a new HDD in and install Win7 then monitor from the start with these apps.

I guess if the next drive degrades I need to look deeper into the laptop itself like faulty cables?!

I'll be sure to put the manufacturer drivers on it too.

Will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again for all your help :)

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

It is certainly not necessary to install the exact same hard-drive as the original one in your laptop as they are all much the same. Why can you not RMA the HDD that has just shown to be faulty as although it is not impossible that something else has caused two drives to fail it is unlikely. In fact I would imagine that if this was the case then I can only think that it might be caused by some sort of power problem. It might be advisable to source a cheap/small replacement to see if you have a similar problem.

Like this post
pegoff

Likes # 0

I just ordered one and it should arrive in a couple of days hopefully. I know they're pretty much all the same but it's the same price as others anyway so I figured why not :)

I neglected to retain the receipt for the replacement drive, which is not at all like me, I hoard the things. It was cheap so maybe I figured it was expendable, but alas it's gone.

Thanks for the help. If the next one doesn't do the trick I know it's something else in the laptop or I'm cursed and shouldn't try fixing it anymore. haha.

I'll keep you updated.

Cheers!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

OK will keep an eye out for your update. Good luck.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...