We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

maybe a power problem

neilbentley

Likes # 0

Hi, I have a HP Pavilion m9070.uk on windows 7 (64) with 6gb RAM. I replaced the graphics card with a 9800GT a while ago (only have the original 300w power supply) ran with no problems. recently I added a second monitor and have since had problems with graphics during gaming. The graphics seem to slow down and miss frames for about a minute, occasionally, then picks up again. I thought it might be the graphics card or the motherboard. Have just read the another thread that advised what power would be required if they upgraded to a 900GT.

Would my problem be more likely that I dont have the power available, and that when another system starts up it slows affects the graphics??

If I do need another power supply, is it easier to replace the box and transfer the inards or just the power supply, the existing PS does seem to be welded into place?

Any help/advice would be great, thankyou

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Your PSU will be retained with four screws through the rear panel similar to this photo.

A 300W PSU sounds small for what you are trying to achieve. Use this PSU calculator to find the capacity you should be using. I think it should be nearer 450W.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I would definitely say that a 300w power supply is not enough for your setup. It is always better to have more than less. I am not a gamer and I don't have two monitors and I have a 600w PSU.

I doubt that your PSU is welded in. They are usually held in place by 4 self tapping screws from outside the case. Look for a higher wattage PSU but with the same size (dimensions) as your current one.

If you need further advice re: make, supplier etc. post back here and I am sure someone will have a recommendation for you.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.

2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.

3. The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.

Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.

MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.

Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply. Why weight matters http://www.directron.com/psu.html

2. Power supply calculator http://www.antec.outervision.com/

3. Correct connections Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Guide to changing PSU http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-install-or-change-my-computers-power-supply

http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYPSU.htm

Like this post
neilbentley

Likes # 0

Hi, Upgraded the PSU to a 750 watt. And I still get the same problem. every 10 mins playing COD the graphics and mouse movements slow down for about 1-2 mins then is fine again for another 10 mins or so. Times are approx. They are not the same each time but near enough!!! It's almost like the frames per second go to about 1/2 what they should be. Any ideas?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I am thinking that it might be a over heating problem with your graphics card. Do you have similar problems when not gaming? Which COD are you playing? Is it the latest one? 9800gt is still quite an old card by today's standards though I have no doubt that it will play the game but not on high settings. Are you using the latest drivers for your card not the ones that came on a disk with the new card.

Like this post
neilbentley

Likes # 0

hi Chronus, its worse when gaming, it is MW3 the latest one. but it also does it on any other game!! I also use Autocad which is high end graphics. It occasionally does it then too, but to a much less degree. I do have the latest drivers, for everything!! updates are pretty much automatic. If I were to get a replacement graphics what card could you recommend, I have always had Nvidia. Wouldn't want to spend too much though, £120 ish.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Might be an idea to check temps before another purchase (unless pretty sure).

Core Temp and Speedfan apps report PC temperatures.

I only have on board graphics, so don't know if they can see graphics card temperature(s).

Like this post
neilbentley

Likes # 0

I have a suspicion the card is on the way out, my second monitor sometimes becomes looses signal, just goes black! If I try to detect it I can't. I usually have to do a reboot or pull the cable out and reinsert it.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Have a look here for some ideas about graphic cards Tom's Hardware give you an idea of the sort of card to get.

Sounds like your card is overheating so might be an idea to give it a clean before buying a new card, invest in a bottle of compressed air and give everything a good blow out.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Sorry about this but I have just noticed that you mentioned you had 6GB of memory, HOW have you done that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...