We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Free or inexpensive mapping software

puma22
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,

I wondered if someone could help me. What I want to be able to do is to place on a map the position of individual people. I need to be able to have this information in a picture format that I can then put into word and other presentations. Is there any software out there that would enable me to do this?

Cheers

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

In W7, You could use Google maps to show the map you want. Then use the snipping tool to copy to clipboard. If you have a photo software (Iuse Photoshop) but the free paint.net (or any photo software with a layer function) should so it, you could use a layer option to add the locations you want.(after imprting the map in jpeg format)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You could use Google maps or do a search for Street map in google or other search engine for different maps then you can just do a screenshot of map and save as a picture (jpg etc) then open pic in your photo editing software program (paint, paint.net, photoshop etc) and place your people on it where you want, then save it and you have a pic that you can insert into word etc.

If you don't want the google marker of the street showing in your pic, choose a street that is nearby but not in the area you want in your pic, then grab the screen and move the map view to the part you do want.

Tip: work on a copy of the map screenshot picture you have saved then you can easily go back to original to make another copy with no people on it and start again.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

jb, Snap, we seem to be on the same wavelength (true Earthlings) :))

Like this post
puma22

Likes # 0

Thanks to both of you - this sounds like a plan - I'm a bit of a noddy on this though and so need some help with the steps. First, I do know how to take screen-shots, but normally just then paste into word. How would I get the google map into a photo. Second, not sure if I have picture editing software on the PC. I have windows 7 and also have a cannon printer. Will picture editing software come with these or would I have to download something else?

Thanks again

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

lotvic Yeah! See posts in Mallard thread!!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

puma There is a very basic photo software in W7 - Paint. But it is too basic. There are lots of paid for photo editing programmes, varying in price from £600 for Photoshop CS5 (professional use) to free. Of the free ones many here reccomend Paint. net:

http://www.getpaint.net/

I would download and play with it. To get a good screen shot , in W7 there is a useful utility: Snipping tool. I have a shortcut of it in my task bar - to get it go to start/all programmes/accessories Snipping tool, then right click and pin to task bar. Get your Google map up on screen and launch snipping tool; drag it to snip it bit you want. then copy the snip. Open the software of paint then paste the snip.Look at help on Paint.net to see how to use layers.

Like this post  
puma22

Likes # 0

Ah, wonderful! I now have a map open in paint! Thank you for the support and advice.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...