We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

problem reading Nero .nri files without Nero software

morters

Likes # 0

My Windows XP computer died last week. Luckily, my friendly computer repairman saved the hard drive and put it into a ‘box’ from which I can retrieve all my files and documents. Amongst these are vital .nri files which are a record of what’s contained on backup DVDs, movies, music and other files that I had burned to DVD. Unfortunately, my old computer had Nero burning software whereas my new, Dell Windows 7 has Roxio burning software. Which means I can no longer read these .nri files. I found some free software on the net (FreeFileViewer) but when I use it to read the files all I can see is what looks like computer language, not very helpful. Having already spent a small fortune getting new computer up and running, I’m loathe to spend more money on new Nero software. Can anyone suggest how I can access these files? Is there any way to export the contents of these files to, say, Word? If so, I could download free Nero trial software and get it sorted out before the trial expires.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

As a supplementary question, is there any way that I can copy just the titles ie, not, say, the actual musical content) of any files on the actual DVDs?

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

You could download the freeware version of Nero Kwik Media

file hippo

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Download bintext303.zip from this Click here It's Safe, It's hosted on Mcafee.com website (Couldn't find it Elsewhere, Unavailable.

Once you have Downloaded it, UnZip it to your Hard drive (Right mouse click bintext303.zip, Select Extract All..) Run (Open) bintext.exe, To the right of File to scan, Click the Browse Button, Find your .nri files, Click it to select One, Click Open Button.

Below File to scan, Un-Tick, Advanced view, Click the Go Button (Don't worry, when saved it looks better, You will still have some deleting to do to get the gobbledegook out).

Next, click Save, Give it a name, Click Save Button, That's it.

Now find that .txt File you just saved, Open it with Microsoft WordPad, Delete the bits you dont want (there won’t be too many).

Happy deleting ;-)

David..

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Good morning Sea Urchin and Lazarus the 2nd - you both posted way past my bedtime! Thank you both for very promising reswponses. When I've rebooted my brain with sufficient coffee I'll try them out.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Sorry for delay replying, all sorts of issues to be resolved re computer death.

Sea Urchin, I think I've installed Nero Kwik Media correctly (the .nri file had an empty square icon prior to installation, now it's got what looks like a proper icon). However, I've failed to open the sample file I've transferred to new computer. This is probably down to tiredness, general technophobia and general confusion. I would not be surprised if when I look at it again tomorrow I'll find a way to open it (them).

David/Lazarus the Second: brilliant, thank you so much. Even if I can't persuade Nero Kwik Media to open the file, your solution will adequately suffice; in fact, being able to export/transfer to a .txt document is something I wish I'd had years ago!

Thank you both enormously for your help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia