We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hiding page numbers in a Word document

Sea Urchin
Resolved

Likes # 0

When inserting page numbers in the footer of a Word doc it is possible to not show the first number, and also to hide either the odd or even numbers. But is there a way to hide individual page numbers throughout the document while maintaining the sequence of numbers?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I haven't done it but I think that it is possible using sections. For example series of numbers in first section, no numbers in second section, numbers commencing with x or carry on in third section.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Thank you for those replies - I shall work my way though the link

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Rather than splitting the document into section breaks and playing with the page numbering in the footer (which got very complicated with the number of hidden pages!) I have adopted a different approach.

Using auto-shapes I created a small rectangular "patch" and formatted it as "no colour" so that it became like an invisible sticking plaster. I then worked through the document and pasted the "patch" over each page number I wanted hidden. This leaves the page numbering intact without the necessity of having to refer from one section to the next and so on.

Worked for me!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback