We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mixing 2GB RAM with 4GB Module

T@M

Likes # 0

Hi all

Just ordered a Levono Thinkpad x121e (i3 version) which comes with 2GB DDR3 - 1333MHz (1 DIMM) installed.

Rather than paying the crazy amount Levono want to increase the RAM I plan to buy extra from elsewhere (probably crucial.co.uk).

Would I be better just getting another 2GB module or would I be ok adding a 4GB module to the existing 2GB. (The 4GB is only a few quid more than the 2GB)

Is there any problem mixing 2GB & 4 GB modules.

Would I see any difference between a total of 4GB and 6GB?

Is there any point just getting 2 x 4GB modules or will there be no performance increase over the 4 or 6GB.

So many questions :-)

Thanks for any advice.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If a 32 bit version of windows it will only use up to 4 G/B.

Tried my Medion with the crucial scanner and it did say my computer would take another 4 Gb but could not say what.Just that it could take more.

Whether you can increase ram the way you want it I know not but I am sure that someone will be able to give you the advice that you need.

Like this post
T@M

Likes # 0

Cheers

It is the 64 bit so should be able to see the extra memory.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

To follow on from buteman - You just need to make sure what the maximum memory is that your laptop can support before purchase.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

Recommended Crucial Memory for your laptop, it's always better to have a matched pair of memory modules.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

Recommended Crucial Memory for your laptop, it's always better to have a matched pair of memory modules.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

Sorry for the double post, but got 'site internal error' so didn't think I had posted first time around!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

if its dual channel mode it will need a matched pair

http://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory/product.asp?ProductID=71811

Like this post
JayDay

Likes # 0

You only need matching pairs if you want to take advantage of dual channeling, but according to most sites the performance advantage is quite minimal.

I have dual channel architecture on my motherboard and am running with a 2gb module in one slot and a 1gb module in another with no issues at all.

http://goo.gl/JpySh

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You won't have any issues with the mix you describe just it won't be taking advantage of dual channeling which you have already discovered is minimal.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014