We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is Laptop Worth Upgrading ?

buckeye

Likes # 0

A friend of mine has given me his old laptop which is a Dell Inspiron 6000, it is in perfect working order it has a 1.8 cpu but only 512 mb RAM. Is it worth buying extra RAM...or what ? Many thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
Procrastinus

Likes # 1

If I had it, I would upgrade to 2GB, especially as the laptop was free to start with! Would not change the CPU though.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What op system?

More ram is one of the few upgrades you can do for laptop that is worthwhile.

Use the crucial tool http://www.crucial.com/uk/ to check what is compatible and what is max it will take.

Remember if using a 32bit operating system its not worth going above 3 meg

Like this post
buckeye

Likes # 0

608 & Fruit Bat...OS XP Home Was Thinking Of 2Gb...at the moment it hangs dreadfully..but what can you expect with only 512 mb.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Adding RAM to a computer is the best possible upgrade you can carry out. It's easy to do, and will result in an immediate performance boost.

Your laptop cannot accept more than 2Gb by the way.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK