We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't Delete Files / Folders or Create New Folders in Windows Explorer

thegreypanther

Likes # 0

Help! I'm stuck.

I have a folder from which I need to delete a number of files but for each attempt to delete a file the error message comes up "Can't read from source disc or file". And yet the file can be opened in an application and the contents appear undamaged. Thye same goes fort attemting to delete a folder, - the same error message appears. - "Can't read from source disc or file".

If I attempt to create a new folder so that I can download some images fromm my camera I get the error message "Unable to create the folder "New Folder"., - File system error (65535)".

Basically, the files / folders all seem to be OK and can be read by applications (Photoshop etc.) but I can't delete old ones or create noew folders. Any clues? Has some sort of overall disc protection been applied?

I'm using Windows 7.strong text

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Also try running a Check disk on the computer.

Check a drive for errors

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors

How many files do you have in that folder there is a file number limit that error number applies to.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Could be some bad sectors on the disk.

Open a command prompt window by going to Start, then selecting Run. Type in 'cmd' (no quotes) and hit enter. Type in 'chkdsk : /f' depending on the drive you want to scan. So if I wanted to do my C drive it'd be 'chkdsk c: /f'. It'll scan the disk, locate any bad sectors and mark them as unusable. You shouldn't get the error after that.

Like this post
thegreypanther

Likes # 0

Northumbria61, - Magic! Many thanks!

The offending files and folders were in my D: partition. Previously I had run CHKDSK on the C: partition only. By running CHKDSK D: /f I can once again delete / create folders, and edit files.

4Kb were found in bad sectors (out of 30Gb / 148745 files.)

Back in business again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing