We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ads from Google

awest3

Likes # 0

Can anyone tell me how to turn off the ads from Google. I've tried their suggested method and changed it in preferences but it appears not to be permanent.

I'd also like to turn off my location but again any changes I make seem to be reversed next time I use IE9.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Have a read here

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4124266/google-privacy-policy/

Also in Tools / Safety/ Tracking Protection do you have some ad blocks?

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

should have said IE8, I can't find a safety option in tools.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

I've read all that thanks but none of it helps...it still shows my location. The function 'my location' is turned off and always has been.

All I want is a search engine...I do not want it to show my location or gather any information anonymous or not.

Is this possible...?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Don't know if this helps but I use Google.com as my home page, http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en

Like this post
alB

Likes # 0

Try this extension that was suggested by rawprawn recently ...alB
do not track plus

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

thanks for these. I've got 'do not track plus' installed but it has no effect on these.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

I'm still seeing these ads even though I've opted out. each time I get back into IE8 they I'm opted back in again.

Anyone know how I can make 'opt out' and 'location off' permanent?

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

You have to laugh! I've just realised that opting out of Google ads does not stop them appearing! just your ability to click on them and be taken to the site the ad mentions...

I think I'll give up and switch to a different search engine..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers