We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Modem settings for Virgin wireless hub

Marg7
Resolved

Likes # 0

I will be helping a friend set up a Virgin wireless hub (a combined modem/router), which will replace their current cable modem

I have previously set up wireless modem/routers with phonelines, but not cable. So I don't need advice on setting up the wireless part of things, but at the moment just need help with the modem settings.

My basic question is whether the settings are detected automatically as there is already a broadband connection or does it require a username and password (like phoneline broadband). I can't find the relevant information on Virgin's site.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It is not normal to replace the cable modem as it belongs to Virgin who maintain it free of charge. A cable router (Virgin hub)(not a modem/router) should be attached to the modem. Ethernet cable goes from modem to cable router. The only thing to set up should be wireless. If router/hub was supplied by Virgin then slightly surprised that they are not installing and setting it up.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

It looks like they now supply them for people to set up. I had assumed it was just going to be a router which plugged into the modem as you describe, but they now sell a combined hub.

I'm not sure if it's the superhub http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEWARTICLE&ARTICLEID=345044&CURRENTCMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITIONID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VMCUSTOMERTYPE=Cable

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Virgin do have an article SuperHub set up

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

With Virgin doubling the speed of its cable broadband many will of offered the Soperhub which is normal for them. They will install this but will charge for it.

These dont require setting up only connecting to the Broadband outlet on the cable box , useing the orignal modem connection.

All the instructions will have been enclosed with the Superhub, which once connected you will need to activate useing their account, password details and details on the back of the Hub.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies. The virgin help page had left me uncertain about the modem side of things since my friend already had a broadband connection.

My friend phoned Virgin for info. Once the new hub was plugged in, replacing the old modem, he phoned to activate the new hub, waited half an hour and all working. I changed the default wireless settings: SSID, passwords etc.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer