We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

"BOOTMGR is missing"

307camel

Likes # 0

Help please.

HP G7000 Notebook PC. Computer has been running slow and a few music programs have continually crashed and remained in the "not responding" state for a while, recently.

Then, the laptop would only boot up to the login scren (VISTA) where you could not proceed any further (even if laptop left for over an hour).

Next day, managed to get into windows and do a few bits, albeit the computer was a bit slower and really struggled to open windows explorer etc. I took this opportunity to remove all files i required onto an external drive.

Tried to do a system restore (windows) but this just would not load up and kept crashing the machine.

Shut the computer down and decided i would try a "System recovery" (press F11 before boot up). Started recovering and then came up with error "0x400 100 130000 1002" and would not proceed any further.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! So i get the recovery discs that were made when the laptop was purchase. Ask the BIOS to boot from disc and guess what nothing.

When i try to boot i just get a black screen and the message "BOOTMGR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".

I have downloaded a Vista system recovery file and burnt to CD. Sounds like the laptop tries to read the CD but NOTHING. Just proceeds to the BOOTMGR message.

Thanks very much for any help!

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Do you have a Vista Install Disc or can you borrow one?

Unfortunately "bootmgr" is a file you will need to get from a recovery disc or windows installation disc, you can borrow someone elses vista recovery or installation disc and do a windows repair and that will solve your issue but that is about all that will help.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Further - if you don't have an Vista Install Disc you could create a repair disc from someone else's computer and boot from that (instructions in the link) Applies to both Vista and Win 7

Like this post
307camel

Likes # 0

Thanks for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

I do not have a Vista install disc and do not know anyone who does?

A recovery DVD was made when the laptop was purchased but when i tried booting from this I had absolutely no luck!

I downloaded a Vista recovery disc and burnt this to CD but again the laptop ignored this disc. I did not have much confidence in the source.

I will give the above link a go this evening and see what happens. Do i literally just have to download the file, burn to disk and then boot with this CD in the drive?

What would be the cause of the problems I have encountered? Would it be viruses, corrupt files etc? Is this common for Vista?

Thanks!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

When you set the BIOS to boot from CD as first boot device , Do not forget to save and exit (F10)

Like this post
307camel

Likes # 0

Thanks "Fruit Bat".

I am pretty sure I did this and i did hear the drive making noises and the disc spinning so i think it did attempt to read the disc at boot.

Thanks for suggestion.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Use unetbootin or Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool to burn the Vista Repair iso you downloaded to a Flash Stick/Card.

Make sure USB boot is enabled in BIOS after CD boot.

Like this post
307camel

Likes # 0

Thanks Robin,

Sorry, I dont fully understand your recommendation; excuse my ignorance.

i) Why not just burn to DVD?

ii) If i did use a flash drive, why do i have to use "unetbootin" or "Windows 7"? Could i not just download straight onto flash drive or copy onto flash drive once downloaded to c://.

Many thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1 because your DVD drive doesn't appear to be booting

1. the USB stick needs to be made bootable
Like this post
307camel

Likes # 0

Are CDs and DVDs always naturally bootable then? If so, how and why is this so.

This may be a silly question......

Fun and games in store this evening trying to rectify this!

Thanks guys

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Are CDs and DVDs always naturally bootable then

No they need software on them to make them bootable just as you hard drive needs bootmanager to make it bootable.

Op system install disks and recovery disks will have the required software to make them bootable.

You can make (burn) a bootable disk with most DVD burnerers there will be an option for this.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote